Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice? Want to switch treble hooks on trout spinners to single hooks.
Hello, I am planning a fishing trip to Montana and really would prefer to remove my treble hooks and replace them with single hooks.
I have Rooster Tails, Mepps, Blue Fox etc, so the hooks are not removeable-they have to be cut off and I dont care for trebles with 2 hooks cut off. I'd prefer to put new hooks on. I read somewhere about a "sickle hook" style, with an opened eye, so that they could be put on my spinners. Anyone know anything about these? Or anything similar that you'd suggest?
Also, does anyone know how I figure out what size hook a 1/16th or 1/8th oz etc spinner would take?
I sure would appreciate any help you can offer.
Thanks!
Chuck
on some of the spinners i make i use a small split ring to attach the hook. i dont know if that will work for you or not.
[signature]
[#0000bf]Thanks, I tried that, but would prefer to find hooks made with open eyes, made for this purpose. I know they exist, but I don't know where to get them or what style to use. I read about "sickle" hooks but didn't see where to get them yet. I also need to know what size hook would go on a Rooster tail in 1/16th oz and 1/8th oz sizes.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]Thanks again![/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]Chuck[/#0000bf]

[quote bigpikeguy]on some of the spinners i make i use a small split ring to attach the hook. i dont know if that will work for you or not.[/quote]
using split rings will not let the lures run true. i suggest you find some one to make the lure for you. a company like kennebec lure up in maine does custom inlines or you could buy the wires and twist them yourself. the hook size is more about what you like than what fits the lure. a 1/16th oz lure takes about a #10 treble but you may find that too small in a single point hook. I have seen the sickle hooks, but not in those sizes. usually you see them for muskie spinners in big sizes like 5/0. e mail if you have any questions
[signature]
i am thinking this is what you have in mind, [url "http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/salmon-hooks/810765.aspx"]http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/salmon-hooks/810765.aspx[/url] though maybe not this exact size or style. call janns and they should be able to help. good luck
[signature]
I think you want either a siwash or sickle hook. I read the new ones from Matzuo are not as good of quality as they used to be. I was going to order some of them to try out. But now I think I will stick with my trebles a while longer.
[signature]