Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Trip to Starvation
Went out to Starvation with my Dad for an overnight fishing trip. Got there Tues evening and got the boat all loaded up and headed out for some fishing. As it was both of us were first timers at fishing there we spent a good amount of time puttering around Bunny Gulch getting familiar with the lay out of the lake. We caught several dink perch, one keeper perch, a small walleye, and my Dad even landed a couple of nice rainbows when we were trolling. The rainbows really surprised me. They were some healthy bows. Wednesday we were on the lake by 6a.m. and pretty much had the lake to ourselves until 10ish. We wound up with 10 keeper perch, 4 nice bows, and I kept a tiny walleye as it was my first walleye and I wanted to see how it fared on the table. I must say it was quite delicious. The perch and bow were both great as well. We caught fish from 20 feet to just over 30 feet. Around the 30 foot mark is where most of the keeper perch were caught.
[signature]
Those rainbows are some fatties! Did you catch all the 'bows while trolling? I'll be up there in a couple weeks to check in on my property and I'll be draggin' the boat with me. I love the 'eyes and perch but trout on the smoker is the best, in my opinion.
[signature]
Have you tried smokin the walleye? I had some turn out pretty good. The only way I'll eat wiper is smoked, they turn out real good[fishin].
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good report. Glad you guys found some fishies and that Mama Nature didn't get too huffy about it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll bet you go back there again.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
mike - hey buddy whats ur smoking recipe for the wipers?
[signature]
A couple of bows were caught trolling a crankbait and the rest were caught on good old powerbait. My Dad never leaves home without it on a fishing trip. He'd throw it out and let it sit while we were more actively fishing for perch and such.
[signature]
I'll definitely be heading back. I wish I had time sooner, but it will probably be Aug before I have time to get back over there.
[signature]
we were up there over the 4th, 3 of use caught 12 bows the first night, and didn't keep anymore the second. it's the first time i've caught bows at night. we anchored in about 20-25ft of water, hung a lantern over the side, and caught walleye until the troutfest started. we ended up throwing quit a few back, my finds son caught this 14" perch on his spiderman rod. had most of our luck during the night, caught perch during the day, most eye at night.
[signature]
( it's the first time i've caught bows at night. we anchored in about 20-25ft of water, hung a lantern over the side, and caught walleye until the troutfest started. )

Great to see you got in to them at night up there!!! What technique were you guys using for the trout/eyes at night. Any tips for night fishing up there would be greatly appreciated!
[signature]