Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 7/21
Hit Willard Bay this evening with fish_or_die. Took the 'new to me' boat out hoping that it would do well. . . and it didn't. Need to rebuild the carbs so it will go above trolling speed.
But since it went trolling speed (at full throttle) we decided to troll around for a while.
Trolling let to 0 wipers which is right on par with most of our Willard trips this year. Around 8 we saw a number of boils pop up briefly over about 45 minutes but nothing close enough to pick at and nothing long enough to get to, but it was fun to watch.
Inside the marina, we found ourselves in the middle of the largest and longest boil of the evening, but the fish were all in the 10-15 inch range.
We caught a few of those to wash the skunk off as it was getting dark and called it a mediocre trip all in all.
[signature]
But wait - YOU'RE "fish_or_die" - so you took yourself out then? Or having a Jeckyl/Hyde moment? lol

Curious - where'd you go? N or S marina? Then where'd you troll? Dragging what?
We had an uneventful attempt last Sunday at the south end. Made it across to the lightpole for the first time. Daytime - didn't "see" any boils, at least don't think I did.
But - I think I can talk my boy into joining me again, if he can hook up a carp again - this time with heavier line!

You watching the birds dive bomb, or seeing activity on the water surface? Sounds like evening time is more active, plus cooler.
My "full throttle" IS trolling speed - yup, big beefy 6HP Johnson! So do you need a faster boat to "catch" the boils? (unless you're lucky enough to have one form under ya, and get wipers hitting your hull!)
Guess I'll add that to the list of reasons for a boat upgrade! Wiper chasing....

Anyone get caught in the hail/lightning-storm last night? Wonder if the cloud-cover turned on the wipers?

Hoping to hit it tonight, and then next Thursday - join up with a friend and his pa who are planning to go.
[signature]
I wrote that post, but apparantly my friend had used my computer most recently so his account was logged on when I went to the BFT page.

We launched from the S. Marina and trolled along the south shore around to about the lamp post and back into the marina dragging everything we've heard that normally works.

At first we just saw the birds bombing but when we got nearer the center of the lake, we could see the fish boil and then watch the birds head over to them.

We saw several boats that seemed to be chasing the boils by chasing the bombing birds, but they didn't seem to have any more luck (none) than we did slowly moving about
[signature]