Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's ready for some STEELHEADS???
The season for steelhead fishing is right around the corner. According to fish and game, there are a record number of steelhead returning for the summer/fall run!

From F&G:

Catch-and-release fishing for steelhead opens in the Snake and Salmon rivers August 1. Harvest season opens September 1.
[ul][li]Salmon River from the Lake Creek Bridge to Long Tom Creek (a quarter mile upstream from the Middle Fork Salmon River).[/li]
[li]Salmon River from Long Tom Creek (1/4 mile upstream from the Middle Fork Salmon River) to posted boundary 100 yards downstream of Sawtooth Hatchery.[/li]
[li]Little Salmon River from its mouth upstream to the U.S. Highway 95 Bridge near Smokey Boulder Road.[/li]
[li]Snake River from the Washington state line at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater Rivers upstream to Hells Canyon Dam.[/li][/ul]
Does anyone know when the season opens up for the Salmon/Challis area?

I'm ready to catch some chrome!!!

Josh
[signature]
I think I may have figured it out..correct me if I am wrong, but is this the salmon challis area?

SALMON RIVER from Long Tom Creek (1/4 mile upstream from the Middle Fork Salmon River) to posted boundary 100 yards downstream of Sawtooth Hatchery.

Jan 1 - April 30 5 per day, 15 in possession.

Aug 1 - Aug 31 Catch-and-Release

Sep 1 - Dec 31 3 per day, 9 in possession

Does anybody know how the crowds are for the catch-and-release season? Also, where should I focus fishing during this time?

Any help would be great, pm me if you want.
[signature]
My cousin just emailed me and said they are nailing the SteelHead at Lewiston right now. Most productive fishing has been at night. Said the run is 240% above average. They are speculating that the cooler river temps,because they are draining Dworshak, is bring the fish up faster than normal. I don't know but thought I'd throw it out there.
[signature]
tob04002, the steelies will not be at Salmon till late fall or early winter. Your best bet is the Snake below the confluence with the Salmon, and the lower Clearwater. In October they start rolling pretty well around Riggins.
[signature]
I am ready but i don't know if i will make it up till after halloween.
we went up last year in the middle of november and there were plenty of fish being caught around the middle fork.
We talked to some lady fisherwomen that live up there and they said they had been catching them since september in that area so there are a few around there.
[signature]
[quote AverysAdventure]My cousin just emailed me and said they are nailing the SteelHead at Lewiston right now. Most productive fishing has been at night. Said the run is 240% above average. They are speculating that the cooler river temps,because they are draining Dworshak, is bring the fish up faster than normal. I don't know but thought I'd throw it out there.[/quote]

Good to know, thanks
[signature]
oh im excited! a buddy of mine is comming in from CO to hit this during the late fall early winter!
[signature]