Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun at Mantua again, 8/11
Hi again,

Bud and I just enjoy Mantua. It isn't a "big time" place but for a half day's fihing I enjoy it. Besides I can always count on bringing home some good eating fish for supper. Caught lots of bass, plenty in good eating size of 10-11 1/2 in and a 15 inch guy that was fun. What was different this time, ran into a lot of blue gills, a lot in the good size range. Not as big as Pelican but they're getting there and don't have parasites. I'm having blue gills for supper. Didn't see any dead trout or other fish, so hopefully things are improving with temp. and warer oxygen content.

Still need to find some good spots at Jordanelle. I miss those big smallies. I realy wand to try the Rock Cliff area but so far I haven't been willing to travel the extra distance and pay the fee to go fishing at Rock Cliff.

[crazy]Leaky
Hey Leaky,
Thanks for the great report.I haven't been there but was the fishing fast?
[Wink]Tincanfsh
[signature]
i was just curious how big the gilss were? ive been real interested in getting into some big gills this year at mantua. are they over 10 in.?
[signature]
Hey Leaky you oughta just bring bud up there on the 6th for the perch party and I think i need to get to mantua again soon. [sly]
[signature]
Tincanfish,

Fast is relative. Probably caught 20-30 bass and 20+ blues in about 5-6hrs. Of course most were small.

X man,

Didn't cound but about 8 bass in the 10-11 1/2 in range + a 15 in guy and 10 blues in the 7-8 in range. More than good enough for me and the blues ate good tonight.

loanfish,

I'm planning on it bud!!!!! Can't leave him home, someone has to lick the plates. LOL
Leaky,

Your killing me! I'm dying to get out there. I think I'm going to have to borrow loan fishies waders or just go out and buy a pair soon. Were you fishing the same area you told me about? Is the catching stil as good?

Al

Opps: What did you catch the blues on?
[signature]
hustler,

Yes, yes. Caught the blues on the same thing.

Leaky
What was it you caught all that stuff on, the blues and bass? just a jig?
[signature]
Loanfish,

I've had good luck many places with 3 in. pulse worms but they are scented so I decented some with 6 % hydrogen peroxide and used a 1/32 oz jig. If the fish cops want to try to put me in jail after going to all that trouble to desent them and be legal, they can have at me. Actually a small white curly tail works good too!

Leaky
What exactly is a pulse worm?[unsure]
[signature]
loanfish,

What do you mean "what's a pulse worm"?????? I'll tell you what, if I show you mine, will you show me yours? LMAO! Seriously, it's a Berkley Power Bait Drop shot plastic lure, 3 in. Don't have a picture but it's deep ribbed, skinny, with a tail. I like shade our rainbow colors. Now you've got to tell me a place to get those big smallies with a float tube, without paying a fee at Jordanelle!!!! LOL I'm sure there's all sorts of things that work well but these seem to work for me in a lot of bass waters - Jordanelle, Flaming Gorge, Snake River, Mantua, etc. I like slow and easy, kind of fits me.

[crazy][Wink]Leaky