Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubing at Mantua Again - 8/11
[size 1]Hi again,

Bud and I just enjoy Mantua. It isn't a "big time" place but for a half day's fishing I enjoy it. Besides I can always count on bringing home some good eating fish for supper. Caught lots of bass, plenty in good eating size of 10-11 1/2 in and a 15 inch guy that was fun. What was different this time, ran into a lot of blue gills, a lot in the good size range. Keept the blue gills for eating. Not as big as Pelican but they're getting there and don't have parasites. I'm having blue gills for supper. [/size]

[size 1]Still need to find some good spots at Jordanelle. I miss those big smallies. I really wand to try the Rock Cliff area but so far I haven't been willing to travel the extra distance and pay the fee to go fishing at Rock Cliff. [/size]

[crazy]Leaky
[cool]Hey Leaky, nice report. Mantua has treated you well this year...even without stinky plastics.

You should shout a howdy to one of our new members on the float tubing forum. Dryrod lives in Orange County California, but has lived in Washington State. He is taking up float tubing and fly rodding, and he has a big husky who is his main buddy. Tried to get me to recommend a good pair of waders for the husky, because as he put it...a wet husky never dries out. (By the way, he is a "young guy" too.)

Were you throwing twisters, or did you use the fairy wand?

On Jordanelle, give it about two or three weeks, after labor day and a bit of cooling weather. Then you will be able to find plenty of smallies in all your favorite spots...with a lot less "toy traffic".
[signature]
[crazy]Dude,

Would you believe pulse worms soaked in 6% hydrogen peroxide solution? I like pulse worms on a 1/32 oz jig! Small white curly tails probably work good still. I'm sure there are other ways but I still had some from my first attempt to desent. If they choose to put me in jail after that effort to be legal they can have at me!!!!! I'll give a holler to the newbeeeees! Hope you make it up here before I'm in a nursing home myself.

Leaky
[cool][font "Arial"][size 4]Hey TubeDude,[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 4]Thanks for the compliment. The young guy part. Also lived in Florida[twice]. Great place for salt water fishing. Upstate NY near the Neversink river which is known for its trout and fly fishing. But Washington still has it for fishing. I could walk out the front door of my house and go in any direction and find a good fishing holewithin 10 to 15 minutes. If you don't plan to eat them - release em!![/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Careful Dryrod, you will start a mass exodus to Washington. With the drought we are having throughout the west, the thoughts of being able to go in any direction for good fishing might be enough to start some folks in that direction.

Over here in Arizona we have to hire a well driller or a dowser to find water before we can wet a line.

I've also fished the other states you mentioned. They all have their positives and negatives. And because everybody has their own idea of what is ideal for them, each of those areas is populated by fishermen who think they are in heaven.

Heaven to me is wherever I am that has fish and i am fishing. Of course, there are some parts of heaven that are a little nicer than others. I tend to agree with you that many parts of Washington state are about as close as you could get to a real fisherman's heaven.

As far as the young guy thing...Leaky is closer to you than I am...and he has a fishing companion with 4 legs and fur. You guys might have some other things in common. Are you checked out on sending the Private Messages yet? (click on the BFT name you want to send to. When the profile comes up, go to the bottom right and click on SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE. Write and send.)
[signature]