Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My eyes are not as good as they used to be
I can tell that by the fact dull small flies which I used a few years ago were extremely hard for me to find and then keep track of on the stream.

So I used this fly in a size 14. The hot orange butt is hard to see in this view.

[Image: Goldenstimi1.jpg]

I love this fly cause the fish loved this fly.
[signature]
I felt the same way this past Tuesday when I was out fishing on the elk river here in TN.... so I kept using flies I could see but the fishies would like.. LOL...

btw.. what fly is that and did you tie it ? If so can you post the "how to" steps on it please...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
A Sofa Pillow or a Stimulator
[signature]
It is a golden stimulator with an orange butt. There are great tying instruction on the internet.

Go to Charlies Flybox on the web and look in his flybox.

By the way it was the exact same one I tied for one of the fly swaps on here.
[signature]
Also, A Medicine Lake Special worked well when I could see it. I used a size 12. I kept loosing it in the reflections though so it did not work as well as the stimulator.

[Image: MedicineLakeSpecial1crop.jpg]

they both worked on water like this

[Image: CIMG2532Medium.jpg]
[signature]
thank you for the information on those flies.. and the pictures of the water its used on...

where I was fishing the water was, in general, a little slower moving.. we got gills on red and black ants and wooly worms.. also caught some rock perch on those same flies and a larger green beetle pattern that FG sent me a while back... I got some pics that I will be posting once I get back home and on a little faster computer... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[quote macfly55]I felt the same way this past Tuesday when I was out fishing on the elk river here in TN.... so I kept using flies I could see but the fishies would like.. LOL...

btw.. what fly is that and did you tie it ? If so can you post the "how to" steps on it please...

MacFly [cool][/quote]

Sooooooooooo, lets see some pictures amigo .........[Wink]
[signature]
Im in TN still on a slower connection.. but we are going back to SD tomorrow.. so Ill be posting pictures over the weekend... maybe Monday... :-)... I got one of a rock perch that was hungry.. LOL..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
This fly was good one for me too. However, my older brother could not see it so I guess I have to look forward to this fly becoming invisible to me some time in a future year.

[Image: PinkParapostBlackAdams.jpg]

it is a size 18 or 20. Black body Parachute Adams. The post shows up well in low light conditions and moderately well in rouph water
[signature]
Nice, I cant wait.[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]I like to wear my distance glasses which are bifocals. They're transitional which helps to keep the glare down which permits monitoring one's flies. I need all the help modern technology can afford me. lol[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Polarized glasses are the best for eliminating the glare even in low light conditions. I need to get some yellow tint polarized glasses for the low light.

Since I don't have any during this trip when fishing in the evening I would got to where I was going cast from then put on the polarized glasses. This added greatly in keeping track of the fly on the water. Then before moving I would remove the glasses so that I could better see the ground. Repeat this 50 or so times.
[signature]
So, do you think that those yellow tint glasses really
work in low light conditions?
I have never try yellow ones before. Just wondering.

Peter
[signature]
I have had polarized yellow tint ones many years ago and they do brighten up the scene.

I have read in numerous recomendations that in low light conditions the yellow tint ones are better. However, I have no first hand info.

I keep my eyes open for yellow ones to be on sale but have never landed them on sale.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Oops - forgot to mention that I have a good pair of polarized clip on glasses. Wouldn't be caught fishing without them.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Ok, sounds good. Thank you for the info.

Peter
[signature]
[left]I should clarify what I said.
[left]
[left]Before I fly fished when I was sailing. i had yellow polarized sunglasses that brighted then the scene. Worked well for late in the day.
[left]
[left]I have no experience of how well the yellow lense with the polarizing effect is for when you are trying to see your fly and the bottom of the river.
[left]
[left]I would think that the polarizing effect would be about the same. Just everything is brighter instead of dimmer. I would use the yellow lenses for early morning and evening fishing. The brightness tires the eyes some times during mid day.
[signature]
Ok. Well, you know what they say...........there is only
one way to find out.............[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
[center][font "Century Gothic"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Use to use yellow lenses when shooting trap/skeet. [/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Century Gothic"][#008000]Seem like it was easier to pick out the target.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
DR, what color were the skeet?

In the late afternoon light with my copper colored lens the pink post on the parachute shown above just popped out very quickly.
[signature]