Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Spirits were happy...
Well grabbed mamatrout, the minnows, and parrotgate and headed to the north slope of the uintas. Mamatrout told me she is bored with hwy 150 side of the uintas so we decided to try somewhere new. The only one who had been to Spirit Lake out of our group was Parrotgate and that was years ago.

Even though the weather reports were iffy (thunderstorms daily), I knew that this was the Uintas and nothing new. We got up there tuesday morning and set up camp. None too soon either for our first storm hit shortly thereafter. Also reallized why we liked having the storms come through daily. Kept the skeeter population under control. Also went through plenty of bug spray. For some reason the skeeters thought we were there to please them. We decided to do a little bank tangling due to the weather and I ended up having a little 7 year old girl out fish me for the first time in a long time. It seemed like every cast she was shouting that she had one on. Between the tiger trout and the rainbows they were sure feisty. My son hung out with parrotgate. Kinda nice since there really is no grandfather figure for him to look up to. He caught a couple of fish with him. Mamatrout was busy trying to keep up with the rest of us. I caught my first tiger as well. [cool]

Day 2 we decieded to hike into Tamarack lake and harass the brookies for a while. When the daily downpour hit we started back down the 2 mile trail and stopped at Jesson lake where my 9 year old caught a small trout on an impossible rig. Three bobbers, a red and white spoon, and a little bit of power bait. I still don't know how he caught that fish.[crazy] Largest brookie fo the trip came from Jesson Lake.

Day three the weather was looking better. Mama nature opened the spigot earlier today. The sun came out and Spirit lake calmed down. So we decided to head out on the tubes. Mamatrout chickened out and took a nap instead. So I took the two minnows and headed out on the lake. In the past when we tried to get the little girl out all she did was whine. This time I put her in the tube and pushed her out. She and her brother were out in the middle before I could get launched. My son quickly caught a nice rainbow on a whooly bugger and my daughter followed suit. I finally got out just as mama nature opened the spigot again. We all got off the lake and took shelter then headed out again as it calmed down. My daughter caught the biggest fish of the trip this time. A really nice tiger trout. I caught a few more rainbows then we headed in for some dinner. Mamatrout loved the area so I think we will be back again next year for a couple of days of fishin'.[laugh]

Today before we left we headed to three other lakes and a stream. One lake was quite large and did not look too good for fishing, the second Browne lake had people around it. I hooked into one that decided to break my line and steal my leech.[:/] The third lake had a nice layer of weeds that lined the bank about six feet into the water so was quite impossible to fish without tubes or boat. The small stream looked good but the beaver pond was shallow and murky. Other streams in the area were running clear but we didn't stop due to the lateness of the hour.

I think we will definately be back again!!! And hopefully will get up to Dagget Lake too. [cool]

Didn't get pics of all the lakes and fish but did manage a couple.[:p]
[signature]
Looks like a great outting with the family, even with the rain. I have never been to those Uinta lakes either. Thanks for sharing
[signature]
Nice report and pictures Kevin. Those are my old stomping grounds when my kids were younger but it has been some time since I've been up there now. Looks like everyone had a fun trip. Does that lodge at Spirit lake still serve burgers and rent cabins? Years ago Dagget lake was one of the few that had Grayling before the DWR started planting them is easier to access areas, it is a fair hike into that lake from Spirit but worth it. Browne lake was one of my favorites because of the willing brookies there and that was also the area I hunted elk at. The lake you said was,
"quite large and did not look too good for fishing', was likely Long Park Res. It actually can be very good from a boat trolling and I'm sure it would be good in a float tube. The lake you said was, "The third lake had a nice layer of weeds", that sounds like Sheep creek Res. Never had much luck there but that might be because I'm not a fly fisherman. Your report sure brought back some good memories, thanks.
[signature]
I'm also familiar with the north slope - one thing I can say is that there is NO lack of rocks in that part of the country!!!

As you pointed out the Mosquito's have a great appetite in that area.

Great pictures and glad to see Spirit Lake full - last time I was up there it was just a large puddle.

Thanks for sharing...

P.S. Wiperhunter2 - that area is where I used to elk hunt...
[signature]
You're right those are long park and sheep creek that I was talking about. We did see one tuber out on sheep creek. It is a nice area. We weren't able to get to Dagget this trip but maybe next time.[cool]
[signature]
How long have there been Tiger Trout in Spirit Lake? Do they die every winter. It seems like Spirit lake winter kills every year is this correct?
[signature]
[quote Wells]How long have there been Tiger Trout in Spirit Lake? Do they die every winter. It seems like Spirit lake winter kills every year is this correct?[/quote]

I do not know that answer to that question. I was surprised when we started to pull the tigers out with the bows.
[signature]