Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BFT Represents at the Fish Your Bass Off Tournament
I will start by telling you I feel very stupid as I just permanently deleated all my pics from the tournment. I thought I was transfering them, but I wasn't paying attention. So no photographic evidence until someone emails me more pics.

Tobo fished in the first four hour heat of the tournament and did us all proud by catching the big fish of the day. I believe that fish was 12 5/8". It looked like he had a good partner and they both caught a lot of fish. I will let him tell the story from his point of view.

My son and I drew the afternoon heat which had its advantages and diSadvantages first of all there were 8 boats in the morning heat and only three in the afternoon. So the water had been hit hard before I ever got on it. Secondly we had to fish in midday heat and it was hot.

The biggest advantage was that we got to see what the other teams were coming in with so we could plan accordingly.

As the morning teams came in it became apparent that the winner would need a four bass limit of all four fish over 12"es to win. My son caught 36 and I caught 54 bass in our four hours so there was no shortage of bass. The majority of them were in the 11" range so it was tedious figuring out whether we should keep them or not. We stuck to our guns and ended up with a four fish limit of 48 and 1/2 inches. We had the biggest four fish limit by 1/2 an inch. I know you think we won but hold your horses now for the killer.

There was a special rule in place that said if a tiger muskie was caught that teams total length would be multiplied by 1.3

A team 100 yards from us caught a tiger muskie and won the tournament. They won two sage BASS fly rods.

We took second place and won a guided trip with Three Rivers Ranch.

The top three teams were within 1" of each other for total length not counting the tiger muskie rule.

It was a great time with my son and hopefully the tournament raised some money for the RETT sydrome foundation. Thanks to the volunteers for making this day possible.
[signature]
Good report, I will chime in tomorrow with my report as I am exhausted and very sunburnt. Until then...
[signature]
Did you take any pics?

Windriver
[signature]
Sounds like you guys had a great time. Have they ever had larger bass in there or is that about standard?

Windriver you could see about recovering those deleted pics. Zero Assumtion Recovery might be able to do it and has a free demo that should be able to get what you need. [url "http://www.z-a-recovery.com/"]http://www.z-a-recovery.com/[/url]
[signature]
Well most of the bass in there are in the 9-12" range. That is one of the reasons they are going to remove them. Even the tiger muskies can't control the numbers.

My friend says he caught a 17" er a couple of weeks ago and he saw a 19" er caught last year. So there are some bigger ones, but they are like less than one in a hundred from what I saw. From what I understand they are going to electroshock it and then the F&G are going to plant the bass somewhere yet to be determined. Then they will concentrate on raising trophy trout again.

As far as my pics go I deleted them off of my camera card not the computer so I will study this but I don't think I can get them back.

Windriver
[signature]
Sorry guys for the delayed report! I have been busy the last couple of days..

Like windriver said I drew the morning heat of the tournament. I would say I got fairly lucky for that because the temperature had not yet reached it's peak and the fishing was really great.

I was lucky to get a great older partner named Paul as well. He had a nice Hyde drift boat and was kind enough to row us around the lake in it. He was fly fishing and I was spin fishing. We started off into our section and began to fish. It was fast and furious action from the beginning. We were catching fish at a rate of about 1 every other cast. We could get a hit, a chase, or a fish on every cast. It is fun to say the least even if the fish aren't very big.

It was tough to figure out which fish to keep as most of them were in the same size bracket. We were kind of holding out for 2 of those "monster" fish to come along..but they never did. Sad

While both of us caught a TON of fish...the fly-fisherman did end up out fishing the spin-fisherman. Who would of thought that when fishing for bass??? Not me, for sure! My partner caught 50+ fish on the fly in 4 hours fishing and I caught about 52 fish in 8 hours fishing...I also caught a nice sunburn as well!

As far as how we did, I believe we got 6th or so place with 46 3/4 inches. Like windriver said, most of the competitors scores were VERY close. My team did end up with the longest fish of the day. It was a largemouth bass coming in at 12 5/8ths inches. They in turn weighed it and converted the weight into decimals. They then called the insurance agency to see what number between 1-100 they guessed it would be to see if it matched to give my team the winning $20,000. It unfortunately didn't match and we did not win the money. I did end up with a cool shirt though. Smile

Not only did I end up with a cool shirt...I had a great time and actually learned a few things.

"Fishing isn't always about catching fish.." - My partner Paul

Attached is the ONLY picture I took at the tournament - it is a 12 1/2 inch largemouth bass I caught during the time I was fishing for fun after my heat was over...I don't know why I didn't take more??? Sorry windriver!! I can probably get pictures from one of the frenzy guys though!

Josh
[signature]
Thanks Tobo, I will ask the frenzy guys to send me some pics. It was really fun. I am interested to find out where the bass end up being planted.

Windriver
[signature]
Yeah, I'd be interested too...Rexburg ponds could be fun, although they probably aren't big enough and the water is probably too cold.

I'm also curious to see what fish come up with they shock the water. There could be some MONSTER bass in there that just stay at the bottom and are too smart to bite. Also, I'd like to see the monster tigers in there.

Also, windriver do you usually go out fishing for bass other places? (besides Ririe) PM me if you want..
[signature]
As you know there are too many places to fish and too little time. I ususally fish for bass at Ririe because I can go for a couple of hours with friends or family after work.

I also fish for bass in the Preston area, but usually only in the Spring. I just get too busy doing other things in the summer.

In addition I have hit the Snake R. below Massacre Rocks a few times. I really love that and I am sure I will learn more about that area if I get a boat some day.

So as you know this isn't a bass hotspot, but we are lucky to have a few places to try something different.

Windriver
[signature]
Congratulations and thanks for the report. A guided trip is a great prize. The only thing better than fishing with your kid is outfishing your kid.
[signature]
Ya, he was doing great and keeping up with me fish for fish until the last hour when he lost steam. I actually think he lost patience and started fishing too fast.

Windriver
[signature]
congrats guys wich i could have fished in it but im super busy right now getting ready for my move. so lord knows i didnt have the extra scratch to participate. but again congrats.
[signature]