Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallstream-big memories report
I have been meaning to hit some small streams for quite some time now,but just haven't been able to get away. I found that yesterday I had a window of time between swimming lessons and football practice to hit a smallstream in the Kilgore area.

I took along my son who was anxious to try out his new waders. He brought his 6' 3weight along with a selection of renegades and royal wolffes. We had to wait out an afternoon thundershower, but it wasn't long until the brookies were rising with reckless abandon.

[inline 6foot3weightsmallstream.jpg]

[inline smallstreambigbrook.jpg]

After about 10 brookies my son was surprised by a nice 12" brown that dove under an undercut bank. Being young and inexperienced he put a little too much pressure on the brown and snapped his 3 weight right in the middle. He thought that was awesome. Dad didn't think it was awesome when he considered the cost to replace the rod.

[inline 12flyrodbreakingbrown.jpg]

[inline broken3weightbigfighthappyboy.jpg]

Thankfully I had brought another rod just like it just in case I had to help my son catch some fish.[:p]

He continued on down the stream and caught many more brookies before we had to get back to Rexburg.

[inline closeupbrookie.jpg]

[inline morebrookies.jpg]

It is truly amazing how a small stream and beautiful little fish can refresh your world. It is a good thing I have a ton of young boys who need to catch some fish. I think I will get out a bunch in the next couple of weeks.

Windriver
[signature]
Sounds like a great time (other than the busted rod). What small stream were you working over? Looks like it would be a fun one for my wife and kid.
[signature]
I will send you a PM. Smallstreams are just to fragile to post on an open forum. At this time of year there are hundreds of smallstreams that could be good just depending on water depth and temp.

Windriver
[signature]
Completely understandable and I often feel the same way about them. Thanks again.
[signature]
WR,

That's way cool. One of the best reports I've read in quite a while. Those memories will never go away, for you or for him. [Smile]
[signature]
Thanks, its amazing how short that trip was yet it was very fullfilling. As far as good reports go, it is the dog days of summer and I think people are waiting on the water temps to cool down. Or there are just a lot more takers than givers out there...[:/]

Windriver
[signature]
Great post! I like the pictures. Makes me want to get out and take my boys. I better get movin soon I guess. School starts in just a few weeks.
[signature]
Enjoy those kids while they are young! They grow up awful fast.. my kids are all older than me now!! [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Windriver,

Cool report. I especially enjoyed your report because the stream you were fishing is the creek where I learned how to fish as a youngster when I was your son's age. Your report brought back many great memories of catching those pretty little brookies. My great great grandfather's homestead is just across the road from the Kilgore store. My family still owns the property but I haven't made it up there in a while. Your report inspired me to get up there before the summer is over, thanks.

Cole
[signature]
I love all small streams (that contain fish). I love fighting through the brush to find the good spots. It is getting harder as I get older (bigger).[cool]

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for posting this! Small stream fishing usually means small fish, but is the funnest type of fishing in my opinion.
[signature]
Small streams are fun. Hit a bunch last month in the sawtooth nf. I have been trying to get my son out and practicing with his fly rod but won't do it. He prefers taking it out in a float tube.[cool]
[signature]
Small creek fishing is my fav! I do most of my creek fishing up in the Little Lost drainage and it isn't near as green as this spot Smile

Thanks for the post!
[signature]
Awesome post...i took my little girls out on a little stream last saturday and they had a blast.. My wife after she saw their excitement said "You are getting waht you wanted...all your gilrs are learning to love the outdoors.".
I love fishing small streams just as much, if not more than catching larger fish, and lately I've been considering getting a 3 weight fly rod. My question is, those who have them, is it a worthwhile purchase, or has it been?
[signature]
I love the three weight. I bought a Griggs 6' 3 weight for small stream fishing. It only cost 35 dollars. It is very specialized but I think it is perfect for poking around in the willows and making precise, short, light casts.

I like it so much I got three of them for each of my fishing age kids...well now we are down to two of them.[:p] Since you aren't casting much line, you don't need an expensive one. I bought an okuma reel and a walmart scientific anglers line for it. All together it was about a $65 dollar set up.

I guess the downside is if you do catch a bigger harder fighter than you intend to you can snap the rod like my son did.

Windriver
[signature]
I have two 3wt's, one is 9' and the other is 6'6". I built both of them about 2 winters ago. I use the 9' just about any where I go. I have landed up to 24" fish with it and no problems. I use the 6'6" for small creeks like Big Elk Creek or Antelope Creek. I landed a few 18" Cuts with it and not much of a problem. I have not used my 5wt weight in quite a few months. I just enjoy fighting the fish on the 3wt's I built and it is a lot more fun than just reeling them in on the 5wt. The small streams and a long rod just do not mix either. Just to much rod and line flying around and you spend more time untangling things than fishing. I have a few streams I fish that are completely over grown, but have about 8' of room under the trees that I can walk under and still fish. You would be amazed at the fish you can pull out of places like that. I think there are only 2 reasons for breaking a rod. One is the user, the other is a bad rod. Things do happen, but both my blanks are from Ebay and are no name and have never had a problem.

I would say if you are fishing small steams, then it is a very worth while investment. I can not cast the 6'6" much more than 20', but you really do not need to on a stream that is only 10-15' wide.

I have about $40 into the shorter rod and about a $40 reel with $20 line from Wally World. Give it a try, you won'Y regret it.
[signature]
WR and PRVT: That's just what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the info. And I'm glad it was pointed out that an expensive rod is not necessary. I was considering a nicer one, but after the thoughts that were given, there really seems to be no great need.
[signature]