Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blown Tires, Mosquitoes, Rain and Hail Oh My...
This adventure started yesterday when I took my son up to PackSaddle lake to meet his scout troop. On the way in I blew a tire and had to change it. The spare was low on air so I didn't know if we would get out. On the way out I had another tire loose air, although it did not go completely flat. Long story short. I have a new set of tires and my son said he caught 6 cutts on a rainbow panther martin spinner.

Today my neighbor picked me up at 5AM to go to Beula in Yellowstone. Another neighbor followed us. After a while I didn't see the truck that was following us so we waited until we could see a white truck coming around the bend. After we unloaded we realized that our other neighbor had not arrived. We went back looking for him and finally caught up to him an hour later. It turns how he shredded a tire and the truck that I thought was his was some other white truck. So that set us a little behind, but o'well life happens.

When we got to the lake another friend was there and he announced that he had caught and released 34 and "where had we been." He caught another 4 while we set up. My son caught a couple cutts right off the bat and then the fishing died. However, the weather just got more active along with the mosquitoes. We got rained on a couple different times and when we finally decided we had enough we were hit with huge hail that really stung.

It just was one of those days. I did ok as I accomplished my goal of using the slip indicator and chromonids that I had been hearing about. It worked pretty good. I caught 13 which was way more than anyone else in our group.

Not complaining just reporting and noting how different things can be from day to day. Sometimes it is the adventure that is more memorable than the fishing.

Windriver
[signature]
Sounds like some "typical" fishing trips!

It wouldn't be complete without - flat tires, thunderstorms, and of course mosquitoes. It brings back memories for all of us!

What chronomids were working at your lake?
[signature]
Sounds like quite the adventures WR! Nice to hear your slip bobber rig is working out so well!
[signature]
I'm with cpierce on this one. The only place I see for improvement would have been starting with a half a tank of gas but otherwise it sounds like a classic Idaho fishing trip assuming, of course, that the guy in the white truck thought you were bringing the ice and you thought he was bringing the ice.

This slip indicator deal sounds interesting.
[signature]
I am not a chrominid expert and the Yellowstone Cutts at Beula are not particularly picky, but I tied an ice cream cone (white bead, black body, white ribbing) and a zebra type one (black tungsten bead, black body and white ribbing.) I tied lots of variations with a little hackle or no hackle. Didn't seem to matter.

Windriver
[signature]
Ya, the slip bobber rig that FlyGoddess and others have been talking about is very effective. I have been studying it for about a year now and just never taken the time to try it. On this trip I decided to give it a try and it worked just like they said it would.

I think I would still prefer to strip leeches or nymphs when they are going on them, but when the fish are deep and feeding on small stuff the slip bobber is really awesome.

I felt like a kid out there watching my bobber.[Wink]

Windriver
[signature]
All right, I'm convinced, I'll try it. Where did you get the slip bobbers if I might ask, and are there any sizes that are better than others?
[signature]
I got mine from Jimmys. I think Flygoddess sells them on her blog as well.

Windriver
[signature]
It couldn't be a fishing trip without some problem.[sly] Nice report!
[signature]
[quote iliketofish]All right, I'm convinced, I'll try it. Where did you get the slip bobbers if I might ask, and are there any sizes that are better than others?[/quote]

As far as size goes, I use the large ones on lakes, medium on rivers, and small ones for small creeks and streams. I use them just about all the time when I am using nymphs or chironomids.
[signature]
Hang on you lost me there. I thought you couldn't cast with them so how do you fish them on creeks and streams? Or do you just use them just like a normal indicator? I thought the point was to be able to probe the depths, so why use a slip bobber shallow like in a creek?
Just trying to learn. Thanks!
[signature]
What is hard to cast is 30 feet of leader - if you are deep nymphing in stillwater.

If you want to use a slip indicator on a creek or river it should be no problem to cast just like any other indicator-- depending on the size.

Personally I would use a large dry fly as an indicator instead, but that is just a preference.
[signature]
I agree with you that I would use an attractor pattern as my indicator in most instances. However there are times when I am fishing a river in multiple depths. I think the slip indicator in a small size would work well in those situations because you could easily move the indicator up and down for different depths. I guess most indicators do that ok.

I think one difference is if you were to use the slip indicator you would have to set the plunger thing deeper so that you could cast it. If you tried to cast it the way it is set for chiromonids it would slip too easily.

Windriver
[signature]
You guys got it right. You can't cast 30' of mono, but you can use it as a strike indicator which is what I do. I use up to 5 different nymphs at the same time 8-12" apart all in different colors when searching for fish. Using the slip float I can easily adjust the depth of my flies to find where the fish are feeding and then narrow down the color. If I am fishing a creek like Birch creek, I would use a floating fly like a hopper for an indicator since Birch creek is about the same depth. When I fish creeks or rivers with deep holes, I use the slip float so I can fish the shallow water and then when I get to a hole, I adjust the float and drop the nymphs down deep. It is easier than tying a new length of leader on the dropper every time you come to a hole. You do have to set the peg in the float a little tighter to cast, but if the fish is big enough, it will release and float like it is suppose to. If it does not come loose, then the fish just is not big enough and will be going back to grow up. Most of the time when you set the hook it will release. This does work well for BG also.

I have fished along side friends who give me crap about using the float. They say using a regular fly is better since they are die hard fly fishermen. They use to always joke about my "Bobber", but after a few fishing trips and countless times out fishing them, they do not seem to joke about it much any more. I think some people just get stuck in a rut and have a hard time trying new things.

I think the reason I do better with the float is since it has a good buoyancy, it gives a little tension on the dropper fly or nymph when a fish takes it. It seems to make it a little harder for them to spit it out like a regular floating fly that has very little buoyancy. I seem to loose less fish with the float. Maybe it is just in my head.
[signature]
Cool that makes sense. Thanks for the info. I can certainly see now how that would come in handy.
[signature]