Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Pics added) Jmax, Yep, won the CBA on 08/07/10. w/Colby I was amazed also. Here is our report.
I wish I could say we had a secret bait that did great or that we found a pattern that was wonderful or something along the lines in which we could take some kind of credit....but...in all honesty we got lucky and just had the right fish bite today. emoAngel Thank you Lord. We had discussed our plan and went shallow first on a large grass flat. As we came off plain I dropped the trolling motor down, got out the net and went to get my rod out. Before I could even get my rod Colby shouts,"I need the net, this is a good one." emoEek Up comes our biggest of the day over four pounds. emoBigSmile I told him he could of at least waited for me to get my rod out. He said it was his second cast. We worked our way down the flat and worked shakey heads with weenie worms on them. emoBigSmile I get a good hit, set the hook and have on a nice one that looked about 3/3.5 lbs, I work it to the boat and Colby is standing there ready to net it. Starts to come up and it turns towards us and shakes it's head with mouth wide open. Just out of reach and I see the shakey come out. emoDoh Not a few cast later I get another hard hit, set the hook and the line breaks. emoMad I was thinking, Here we go again....I peeled about 20 feet off my reel and retied. That seemed to fix my breaking problem. Not too much later I was working a spook over the grass and had a nice 16.5 incher destroy my spook. Got it in and now had two keepers in the well. That was it on keepers in the grass, after a couple slicks we left there. Hit a hump on the main river and nothing. Not even seeing fish on the graph. emoScratch Left there and hit a few rock ledge drops and again nothing but a couple more slicks on worms. Move from there and hit an ol' creek bed in about 18 feet. Casting cranks and blades I get a keeper on each. One 3+ on the crank and a 15.5 incher on the blade. That was it there. Moved again....headed for some docks. Still flipping a blade I get a freight train hit on the blade. Rod double and up come another one close to four pounds. Colby nets it and we have our five now and are feeling good. emoSmile About three slicks later and one just barely keeper we decided to move again. Headed back to deep water on the river. First stop seelch....move to an island out on the main lake river. Using drop shots we looked for schools and started catching slicks. Finally I get a hard hit and set the hook. Rod doubles...and I do mean doubles. With everything that rod had it would not come up. emoEek Colby asked if it was a fish and I told him it was. I played seesaw with that fish for about fifteen minutes. Finally I got it up and it was about a 4 and a half foot flathead cat. emoGoofy Maybe 45 to 50 pounds. Hit that shakey head. I got my hands on it and got my hook back. No sooner had I released it then Colby shouts he has one too. I look up and his line is coming up. I told him he looked like he had a good bass. He slowed down, brought his rod tip down and the fish sounded. Got under the boat, I was there with the net as she came out from under and netted her. Another one close to four. Culled our 15 incher and now was thinking we would get a check. emoThumbsup Try as we did we could not catch anymore keepers there. Moved to two more places and nothing. With one hour left we headed for another grass flat with a road bed in it. Fishing the side of the road bed with shakeys I caught three more. One did not help, the second we culled our 16.5 incher. Then right about 3:50 I catch our third and final three pounder and culled the smallest which was 17 inches. emoTongue I told Colby we had over 17 pounds and might as well head in. It was five till four and we had to be in at 4:15. When we got there we were just hoping to get a check. We were very surprised to win it with 17 and a half pounds. It usually takes over 20 pounds to win. Most everyone was complaining about the poor bite. We boated about 25 bass and had a total of 13 keepers today. Not a bad day for us for sure. Our five keepers we weighed in came from five different places with four different baits. Had a great time and enjoyed the company, the friends and the officers of the CBA. I really think they got a kick out of Colby being in the hot seat and giving him a hard time. emoThanks Jmax