Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will they close lake lowell???
I saw this on Craigs list. It got me worried so I thought I would ask if anyone knew about this. I would HATE to see it close. Ron

[url "http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1891681242.html"]http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1891681242.html[/url]
[signature]
This is the first I have heard about it this meeting. I know there has been talk of closing Lake Lowell to boats.

It would be a shame[frown][frown][frown]

Anybody else heard of this meeting?
[signature]
They have been talking about this for the last two years and now they are finally having meetings on it. I hope they have some sensible people in the Federal Government (kind of an oxymoron[crazy]) and realize that it is a benefit to all not just the waterfowl. I would hate to lose the bass fishing so close to home with a boat.
[signature]
Huh, hadn't heard anything. A quick Google search didn't reveal anything. There's also no contact info on the add. It could be legit, but I'm a little skeptical. Then again, I'm a little skeptical by nature.
[signature]
It's legit. Our State Bass Federation has been posting the meetings on their site. I know when the talk came up last year, the person running Deer Flat was transferred out. I think she prematurely brought it up and wasn't suppose to let it leak. I think the Feds were just going to close it without any input.
[signature]
Here is some info from our State Bass Federation site. The opportunity to attend an open house at the refuge is going to take place on the following dates....July 28, 2010 12pm to 3pm & 6pm to 9pm Aug. 20, 2010 10am to 6pm Aug. 21, 2010 10am to 3pm Comment lines are available to call in during the following times .....5pm - 7pm the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month through the 8th of September(208)467-9278 You can also send a letter toBig Grineer Flat National Wildlife Refuge
13751 Upper Embankment Rd.
Nampa Id. 83686 The method of choice is to e-mail a word document to:[url "mailto:deerflat@fws.gov"][#00adef]deerflat@fws.gov[/#00adef][/url] Please visit thier website for additional information...[url "http://www.fws.gov/deerflat"][#00adef]www.fws.gov/deerflat[/#00adef][/url] This process will take aproximately 24 months to form a CCP and by September 2012 it will be implemented. There will be additional comment and discussion times next spring once the information we provide has been evaluated and a direction has been established.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Bob. I'll be sure to voice my opposition to them.

Let's let 'em know what we think folks!
[signature]
I don't see why they want to close Lake Lowell anyway. It's not a natural lake, and there are plenty of lakes and reservoirs where boaters and waterfowl co-exist without problems.

While I wouldn't mind seeing the obnoxious ski boaters and jetskiers kept off the lake, I'd hate to see it closed to anglers also.
[signature]
We had a meeting about the same thing a year ago. Same place, Mike Crapo spoke, County Commissioners spoke, the people spoke. The USFWS people had no answers. They were told to do this report three years ago, and given 5 years to accomplish their report. They have two years left to write a report that you or I could do in a week. It's a lot of bureaucratic gobbly-gook. This is a result of all the interest in our youth being taught they need to save the planet.

I won't be able to attend the meeting because I'll have two retired USFWS fisheries biologists fishing with me that week. They took early retirement when they discovered the organization they had worked for over 25 years had turned away from hunting and fishing and was now devoted to saving endangered species and saving the planet.

The USFWS has taken the position that you need to demonstrate that boating is beneficial to the fish and wildlife on the refuge. Good luck with that. The only hope is that the legislators can put enough pressure on the head of the USFWS to change the attitude of the service.

I just thought to add that about a mile down the road from our house there is a new USFWS sign:
[center]"Welcome to Your Refuge"
[/center]
It's our land, but there is a 5 strand barbed wire fence around the perimeter to keep us off our land. There are 7 access areas on the south side, but many of them have locked gates. I have spent over 50 years watching the refuge land gradually get locked up as the hunters and fishermen in the USFWS got replaced by "conservationists".
Our refuge?
[signature]
I have no issues with keeping the majority of the public out-including boats-during nesting season (March through May), but it is a place for all to enjoy. I see this as the first step for the antis to shut down hunting and fishing on Lake Lowell.

It should be open from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
[signature]
It's a man made lake, made for man. Do I need to repeat it? It was intended for the use of man (irrigation), thererfore, IMO, it should be open year round. Bureaucrats and tree huggers have to ruin everything.
[signature]
Lowell will only be a first step to many closures -- quietly -- one at a time.

jmho!
[signature]
+1 buggy !!!!!!!!
[signature]
The problem is that Lake Lowell s a part of Deer Flat National Wildlife Refuge which puts the main emphisis on wildlife and the Feds in control.
[signature]
wild·life ref·uge (plural wild·life ref·ug·es)

noun
Definition: U.S. protected area for animals: a protected area set aside to preserve the habitats of some types of wild animals, especially migratory waterfowl, and in which people are allowed to view wildlife in a natural setting

I say we just counter them with the "natural" theme and push for Lake Lowell to be drained and filled in to bring back the original habitat. Lets see how that lasts against all the owners of water rights.

I'm with you guys.....built by man, for man.
[signature]
I've only been to Lowell once; in 2003. My grandson, then a 5 yr old got into some of the most noxious weeds on the planet... Wicked stuff right at the water line. The ducks can have it, IMHO... What was that stuff!!!???
BTW: I'm all for not disturbing wildlife when they are on the nest.
Unrelated, but at C.J. Strike one fall I saw more Mallards in one corn field than I used to see in the Arkansas flyway. Thousands and thousands of green heads; so thick a punt gun would've nailed at least a thousand with one shot...
[signature]
50 years ago we had a 9 duck limit on Lake Lowell and the population would peak at 750,000 ducks around Thanksgiving. All night long we could hear the whisper of waterfowl wings over our house. Today the population, which now includes all the Snake River from Swan Falls to Weiser tops out at 50,000 to 75,000.

Lake Lowell is unique because the water is controlled by the Bureau of Reclamation, the fishing and hunting regulated by the Idaho Fish & Game Department, and the the refuge by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.
[signature]
I read the info on the web page and I still don't know if they plan on closing ALL boating for fishing. Ron
[signature]
[quote SmartWeed]50 years ago we had a 9 duck limit on Lake Lowell and the population would peak at 750,000 ducks around Thanksgiving. All night long we could hear the whisper of waterfowl wings over our house. Today the population, which now includes all the Snake River from Swan Falls to Weiser tops out at 50,000 to 75,000.

Lake Lowell is unique because the water is controlled by the Bureau of Reclamation, the fishing and hunting regulated by the Idaho Fish & Game Department, and the the refuge by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.[/quote]

Is part of the decline due to the loss of feeding grounds? I know a lot of former cornfileds in the area are now subdivisions, golf courses & the like.
[signature]
I don't believe we've lost 80% of our fields, but we've lost over 80% of our ducks. South of Lake Lowell there are quite a few new homes, however, thousands of acres of new farm fields have been created by pumping water from the Snake River. They didn't even exist when we had great duck populations.

The USFWS says it was caused by the diversion of the flyway to the new grain fields along the Columbia River.
[signature]