Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the best tube for a big guy?
Hey guys. I want to buy a tube but I am a bigger guy. Can you guys give me your thoughts on a good tube. I have been looking at the Togiak and the Cumberland by classic accessories. Cabelas says they have a capacity of 350 lbs but I called Calssic Accessories and they told me their tubes are at 300 lbs. I am about 6' and 300 lbs so I was hoping for a little advice before pulling the trigger on anything. Thanks.
[signature]
Prowler or pontoon[Wink]
[signature]
"Best" is always subjective. I weigh about 265 and I have an Outcast Fat Cat LCS. TubeDude, BigFishTaco, and others have the same model and they have been accessorized like you wouldn't believe. I carry a few rods, tackle, snacks, drinks, tools, sonar, etc. with no issues. TubeDude has a plethora of posts of his modifications complete with pictures. This is my first float tube so I can't comment on others but I can't say enough about how much I love fishing with my current setup. Others can suggest other "Big Fella" tubes. Just my two cents...
[signature]
Scadden Escape!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Classic Accessories is a line manufactured "offshore" for the price market. They are entirely adequate as starter craft, to get acquainted with tubing but are not well made, compared with several other manufacturers. Lots of problems with valves, seams, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Although Outcast tubes are also made in China these days, and are not the same high quality they used to be, they are still among the better buys for the money if you are a heavyweight. The Fat Cat, Super Fat Cat or Prowler should all float you satisfactorily. And, you can add extra floatation by attaching boat bumpers on the front bottom. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Creek Company makes an ODC 420 that has a pretty good carrying capacity too. Better than the Togiak but not as good as the Fat Cats. Smaller pockets and valves that are inside pockets...etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have the $$$$$ and really need a bigger ride, you should look at some of the Scadden hybrids or a full sized pontoon. Depending upon how much other gear you want to carry and your personal fishing needs a pontoon might well suit you better. They are bigger, heavier and more difficult to transport and set up...but they definitely handle larger loads better.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Second that Escape, plus it really isn't much more than the Prower price wise, but OH so much more tube wise.

Bladdereless, extra skid pad, oars, huge side bags and accesories like a killer motor mount, rear deck mesh...killer tube
[signature]