Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intro and First Report Firth Area
Typical story.. Lurked for a few weeks, then had to join. I sincerely appreciate all the tips and pointers that everyone tosses out.
Took the family out to the Firth area in late afternoon walked along the shore and found a few likely spots. We had non-Stop rainbow action in the pools tight to shore. Seemed that everything would work.. I just started to drown some flies, so close to shore is a good thing for my casting skills.. Small fish upto about 3lbs, most about 12-13 inch. Two notable catches.. My 6 yo daughter caught multiple fish on a small gold spoon She cant wait to go again.. Second, my son 14 catches a dragon fly, pins it on the hook and bendo, nice bow just under 2lbs. Does it again same bait, and the only brown of the day just shy of 3lbs.

Sorry no pics.. Actually didnt expect to catch much.

Thanks again to all that post!!
[signature]
Welcome to the forum.
[signature]
Thanks for the report,

Ive yet to land a fish on the SR with a fly....I will try the firth area soon...I've moslty fished in blackfoot near the railroad bridge...lots of carp
Ive heard good stuff below towards tilden ..

Match
[signature]
Welcome to BFT. I sometimes put a real grasshopper on the hook and use a fly rod to put it in the seam. My kids like catching the grasshopers. I am sure that is part of the fun with the dragonfly.

Windriver
[signature]
We went up by Shelly the other night, All I caught was a big old sucker[shocked]
Sounds like I need to go further south.
Thanks.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT Michael 44.

Windriver
[signature]
Where is the river access in that area?
[signature]
[quote cpierce]Where is the river access in that area?[/quote]

there is quite a bit of access off of the old Yellowstone highway. there is a good access right at firth.
There is a sportsman's access between Shelley and Firth at the Blackfoot canal that has an easement that runs a mile along the river.
[signature]