Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard fail
Decided to go to Willard Bay last night for some shore fishing and it turned out to be a highly stressful experience. My girlfriend, Two younger sisters and Myself left at 7:20 PM and once we hopped in the truck I said we would be at the lake at 8:05 pm and no joke the minute we hit the exit for the bay the clock rolled 05.

But the intelligent guy I am I tried to find the North Marina from the South Marina gates. Which led to 35 minutes of driving in the cornfield maze and mainstreet Willard and back out to the free way before we finally saw a sign signalling that the marina was the next left. Once we got to the Marina Gate we waited in the line of trucks getting in untill I could read that it was 10 $ to get in and I new I was in the wrong location for what I was trying. Luckily I was in the rear of the group and was able to reverse and do a uturn but not without adding the stress of running over a random cone in the middle of the road. So now I appear to be a guy to cheap to pay the cost that cant drive.

We then found the overnight section that is 3 dollars. Well as handy as them giving us an envelope is not giving us the writing utensil cancles out any warm and fuzzy feelings toward them. So after a search of the entire vehicle by the four of us we finally found one of those pens you get for free in the hotels. So feeling good I grab my wallet and then realize that the smallest bill I had was a five. Not wanting to waste anymore time I just gave them a tip and road on in. FINALLY.

Got on the lake at 8:57 feeling a little less excited but happy to be doin it. Got all the gear and all out and walked it down the path to a section of the dike that was not being used. Set up everything and got ready. First cast out my sisters line undoes itself and in frustration she completely tangles it and it out of commision.

Then as our luck would have it my other sister decided it would be best to grab chips instead of bug spray and litterally took it OUT of my tackle box for NO REASON. Well it did not take long to decide that the bugs were too annoying and I volunteered to make the two minute jump to the Flying J gas station just on the other side of the overpass from the gates. So I walk all the way back to the vehicle with my sister that decided to come along and ran over to the staton which was a country store. We walk in and looked for a minute for the repelent and finally a clerk said that they didn't carry it. What kind of "Country Store" on a swampy lake does not carry bug spray???

Well after a jump to the Walmart 5 miles up the road and back my girlfriend was pretty worn out with the bugs and not in the best mood for fishing. So now we are just sitting covered in the strongest repelent could find. (of course bought two cans and when I got to the lake one was already used or broken somehow) and my OTHER sisters poles string snaps inside her closed reel FUN.

I took my crawdad trap just for fun but forgot the chain to retrieve it so I used several lines of fishing string thinking for some reason it would work. Well walked down the jetty a bit to a location that seemed promising tossed my trap out watch it sink then look at my hands with the entire length of fishing line in it. I made the trap so I was not TOO disappointed but still had that urge to jump in after it ; )

Walked back to the group to find my girlfriend untangling her line without much success. So now its down to my two rods between the four of us. It was a pretty night so we didn't give up yet. Then the high and mighty Park Rangers drove onto the dike because there was a report of a fire or something. Well I guess they dont have great eyes because I barely had time to move my sister and her chair before they were rammed and unfortunataly my Pole was not as lucky. Not as much as an sorry from the ranger for snapping my multi hundred dollar rod in half.

So now we are down to one pole all itching like crazy from the squiters and not a single bite to show for it.

So lets see the total for the night-
20 $ in gas
5 $ for 3 $ pass
20 $ crawdad trap
225$ ish for the pole (eh reel was the most money so rod wont be to bad to replace)
100 or so feet in string
8$ in bug spray that half of didn't work
And one very smooshed very Sad cone *RIP*

Ya gotta say not my most resourceful night...
[signature]
Wow.....what else can be said. Glad you got out at least.

Shawn M
[signature]
One day you will look back with your sisters and laugh at that experience and make you appreciate the smoother more successful outings a little more. I'm not saying anytime soon, I just said "one" day down the road. Sounds like you had about as good of attitude as one could have for going through that. May the fish gods Smile down on you next time!
[signature]
Sounds like you had a bad night for fishing......I also went last night 11 pm to 12:30 pm the next day...... I went to the north end and had no luck all night, I tried crawdad, shad look alikes and silver spoons with no success all night. I actually brought hot dogs with me(Wish I would have had worms) and tried that for a while, and every now and then would get a bite that would last less then a second. So I got skunked, was not to fun of a night but at least it could have been worse =) Maybe Ill have to try the south side next time [fishin]
[signature]
Dude I am laughing so hard I am ready to cry!! and I think a little drop of pee may have hit the shorts too! We have all had crappy days, maybe not just like that one, but similiar where nothing works out right.

Thanks for the post!!!

Better luck next time. [Wink]
[signature]