Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre 64 vs Post 64.
I like to think of myself as a gun guy, but I have to admit, I don't understand all they Pre 64 vs Post 64 Winchester stuff.

Someone want to tell me why the Pre 64 is supposed to be so great?
[signature]
I have always wondered the same thing. The only reason I have one is because it was my grandfathers and was passed down to me when he passed. I can say it is very accurate and reliable, but other than that, I have no idea why they are so popular.
[signature]
quality.
[signature]
I have two Pre 64's. A 270 and a 264 win mag. I also have a post 64 243.
The pre 64 stocks are in my opinion a better-looking stock. It is an oil finish where the post 64 is more like paint, and on some guns it was paint. The later post 64's had a little better finish than the 1965 through 1990. The pre 64 stock is a little heavier. I don't like the center barrel screw on the pre 64 stocks. So for looks the pre 64 takes the nod. For accuracy due to the stock I give the post 64 the win.
Barrels. The pre 64 has a thicker heavier barrel. The post 64 has a thinner barrel for the most part. So far the 270 is an honest 3/4" shooting rifle at 100 yards. The 243 honest is a 3/4" gun and the 264 is lucky to keep them into 1.25" but that gun was shot a BUNCH by my uncle. For accuracy I give this a split decision.
Overall good looks. WINNER pre 64.
Both of the model 70's have their strengths and weakness. The one that stands out to most is the controlled feeding of the pre 64. It is possible to accidentally have a round fall out of the action of the Post 64. The pre 64 can feed upside down or on it's side. Something the post 64 cannot do. For the reliability win Pre 64 wins hands down.
Lastly for holding and increasing value the pre 64 wins hands down. The pre 64 Winchester has a place in history like it or not. Other rifles may out shoot them but they will never be the “Rifleman’s Rifle”. Ron
[signature]
great pics ! especialy liked the one of your dad.
[signature]
Thanks for the feedback. It is good to have a better understanding. Nice pics too.
[signature]
Dad passed away from Lung Cancer in 2005. That picture was on his casket at his funeral. That was one of his favorite hunts. When I took the picture a Bull Elk was bugling in the background. A friend of mine and I packed that antelope out on a long pole. Dad was wanting us to also carry the rifle and all his stuff. It was a super fun trip. After that hunt I ended up putting a new Bell and Carlson stock on it. Dad shot his last deer with it in 2003. In this picture he had lost a lot of weight and I think he was sick then. He could not hunt in 2004. I gave him a hard time about it, I feel bad about it now. The fall of 2004 I am sure that the cancer was on him hard then. The next March he was diagnosed with lung cancer. That May 8th on Mothers day My Mom died from congestive heart failure. Dad died a month and 8 days later just before fathers day.
I know the Winchester model 70 was called the "Riflemans rifle" but in the case of my two rifles they were just that. My father loved shooting that 270 and my Uncle Jim LOVED that 264 mag. I own the "Riflemans Rifles".
They are working treasures of my family. I hope you guys like the pictures. Ron
[signature]
first sorry for the loss of your parents. and the pics are wonderful. it reminds me of my dad. and the bell and carlson stock looks sharp. thanks for sharing.
[signature]
I know how you must feel. My sister is battling cancer right now. She has brain, lung, and liver cancer that have been confirmed and is testing for more locations (which are very likely). She is not expected to live more than a year. If you are interested, you can follow her remaining days at [url "http://www.marycancervive.blogspot.com"]www.marycancervive.blogspot.com[/url].
[signature]
I am sorry. Love her while you can. Ron
[signature]