Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marine carpet/vinyl
Does anyone know of a place locally (SLC) that carries marine carpet and vinyl? I called West Marine on Sunday and they can order it, but don't carry any. Checked Lowes/Home Depot also. I was thinking about doing a recarpet job over the winter and was dinking around looking at how tough it would be to get some of the floor board sections out of my boat on Sunday and a half day later I had all of the flooring stripped out and my boat laying in pieces, so I guess I'm doing it now. No worries, it needed done any way.

I think I'm going to need one piece of marine grade plywood as well. Is there anyone who will sell me a 4x4 sheet of 3/4"? I've got one section of floor that I didn't realize was going bad until I took it out. Probably doesn't have to be changed, but as long as I've got it out I mind as well do it.
[signature]
I have really liked the carpet and vinyl from Cabelas. I don't know if they carry it in store, but you can order it online and pick it up at the store for no additional shipping charge.
[signature]
Boaters outlet in Midvale 7400 south and 700 west. They have quit a bit in stock pricing I am not sure though.
[signature]
well i did my boat this year with carpet i replace all the wood i just got 3/4 inch plawood the good stuff then coat the wood with some sealer and then make sure you get some good glue for your carpet . i oder my carpet through bass pro shop online .
[signature]
What did you end up doing on this? Was it harder/easier than you thought? Are you satisfied with the way it turned out? Any changes you would have made (if any)? You should post a picture or two of it.

Not sure if your boat had this, but how do you deal with stripped or screws that seem to be rusted? All of the screws on my floor strip out when I try to unscrew them & I'm using the right sizes and even strip when I try to loosen them by hand.
[signature]
I ended up ordering some carpet through my father in law, who is a carpet layer. Honestly, if I knew how much work it was to do I might not have done it. The carpet laying wasn't horrible, it was getting all of the various sections of floor out of the boat. I had my boat torn down for about 3 weeks. I did end up having to EZOUT several screws (much harder to do with stainless hardware).
Job came out fantastic. I've got some pics, but not on this computer. I posted them up over on Freeformfishing.com. My advice would be: order the carpet ahead of time, have a father in law who knows a lot more about laying carpet than you, and do it in the off season when you have plenty of time to do it. As far as man hours I have a 17' Lund. It took me 2 full days to do tear down (15-16 hours), my father in law and myself a day and a half to lay and wrap everything and another full day by myself reinstalling hardware and putting sections back down.
[signature]
I checked out the pics, boat looks great. Turns out we're neighbors as well. Your boat is much nicer than mine so hopefully mine won't take as long. Do you think it is a major project to relocate a seat? I tried to take out a piece of my deck and the screws are rusted so I can't get them out? Is that what ezout is for? What is it? The rusted screws made me decide I was going to do it in the off season.
[signature]