Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The mystery of senkos
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Just thought I'd start a thread on how everyone fishes senkos. I know there are a lot of people (including me) out there that would like to be more educated on the rigging & techniques used to fish these plastics. Any one out there that wants to share? Thanks![/size][/font]
[signature]
[url "http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/rigging-guide.shtml"]http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/rigging-guide.shtml[/url]
Senko's are one of my favorite plastics to use. They work best in the spring and in clear water. I like to rig them texas style but you can also rig wacky or carolina style. They work well at pineview on the smallies near the shoreline rocks. They are mainly a finesse bait. When you rig them use no weight and a hook with a gap that is 1/2 more the width of the bait.

To work the bait just cast it along the rocks or other cover or in open water where you mark fish. Shallow water is best cause' it takes a while for the worm to sink. If your going deeper you can add a split shot about 2' above the bait to get it down there quickly. Patcience is key! cast out and watch the line for pickups as it sinks. then just give it a little twitch and wait till it hits bottom again and repeat. Most bites come as it's settling back to the bottom. You will see the line move to the side or stop before it hits bottom, wait a second then set the hook. They usally hold on to it when they pick it up. Give em' some time to get the entire bait in thier mouth.

I find that the fish cn't resist a Senko. The action is awsome! When you twitch it it kind of shoots upwards and arches as it falls back to the bottom. You'll notice this if you watch your line it get loose after the twitch then tightens up as the worm falls back because the bait is "swimming away from you.

hope this helps,

Al
[signature]
I dont want to sound stupid, but what exactly is a senko???? I am realitively new to jig fishing and the different presentations for bass and walleye!!! I hear so many people talking aobut senkos, expecially on Jordanelle.
[signature]
Same goes for me. Does anyone have a picture of a senko?
[signature]
if you go to the link above there is a pic of a clear/white work looking jig. That is a senko. There name brand at least here in the utah store I beleave in yamokto or something like that.

Here is a link to some of the senkos cabeleas carrys

(edit) The link didn't work but here's a pic of "senkos". Other plastic lure companys make them under different names BLM

[Image: i116592hz01.jpg]
[signature]
Oooohhhhhhhhhhh! All this time you guys have been talking about "Senkos" and I thought maybe it was some new type of bass jig or something that recently came out. I've heard of and seen yamamotos before! I just didn't know that they were the same thing. Thanks for the info. I'll have to get myself a few. What are the best colors, if I'm on a limited budget, and I'd most likely use them at Jordanelle?
[signature]
I have not got to use them much but the guys I do know swear for utah water all you need is Chartures of course, black, and pumpkin seed green.
[signature]
Dude,

I've caught you just in time. I've seen this before. 1 trip with the IFG and you go to the dark side. Jason lived through it and so will you. My doctor can help! PM me and I'll give you his number. This is how it starts, man I've been there. First with the Buzz Baits, that's not enough, then, next thing you know your on the worms.....that becomes unsatisfiying, then your on top waters. It's only a small step from there and then "POCKET LINT CITY", that's how the man gets you. Take some advice from Dr. IFG, MEAT< LEAD< HOOK, that what gets a guy through the hard times. Trust in the IFG, the market will turn, all will be well. Don't go down the path so many others have followed. If you continue down this road the next thing you know you 'll have some 6 billion dollar fly rod with negitive 30 pound test killing the 2" trout. I offer free counsuling 3 days a week on line @iftheyover15shouldyoubehere.com. I'm only to here to help. Remember, the first step to admitting the problem, is to admitting the Big Fish problem itself. Start with step one: I will only catch big fish, if unable, I will sacrifice all I have to do so. If I am still unable, I will fish will people who are Gods of fishing to help me through the hard times. Step two will have to wait, after all this good advice, I feel the need to rest. I can only do so much. JMIG and Rick, the forum is your's. I know you'll read this at work tonight.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Forgive me, father, for I have sinned but since I can't chase wipers anymore, I thought I'd try and get this smallmouth stuff down a little better. You know, for medicinal purposes only of course.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Let not your mind be troubled, IFG, for I AM a big fish kind of guy. Yes, I'll say it again. "I AM a big fish kind of guy". I do think some field therapy is in order to keep my mind balanced and focused in the right direction. Any suggestions oh keeper of the big fish mentality, oh great deity of all who fish?[/size][/font]
[signature]
You guys are hilarious! Unfortunately, I'm not even worthy to clean the mud from the keel of your boat! [Sad] I have just as much fun catching 100 little fish as I do catching the big ones. [laugh]
[signature]
Well, I personally hate using the darn things but they've caught more than their fair share of bass for me...but if the fish are eating another lure like a jig just as good as they're eating the senko...I'd much rather use something else to catch the fish. Senkos are BORING! LoL! Anywho, I'll start from the top...a senko is a soft plastic bait made by Yammamoto that was the first of its kind. They're now calling this type of bait...a stick worm. The senko is not a type of jig in any sense. Just thought I'd clarify that. But yes, now there are many different companies making senko look-alikes. On the package of senkos now I think they're calling them...Yamasenkos. And don't kid yourselves thinking that a senko works best in spring and in clear water. I slaughter the LM Bass at Utah Lake (2" visibility) using a wacky-rigged senko in the fall. Senkos work all year long in all water clarity types, but yes, there are certain conditions when a senko will work better than other baits. My favorite way to rig a senko is wacky-rigged. I like to do this mainly because it gives the senko just a bit different action than how most everyone else fishes their senkos. You cast it out around cover and structure and let it snk. Once it gets down there I just barely twitch my rod 3 or 4 times then let it glide back down again. A lot of the time though the bite will come on the first drop down to the bottom just after you cast...so watch for that line to jump or pick up speed suddenly! I would personally advise against giving the fish a few seconds to allow them to eat the whole bait...this is because if you give them a few seconds...they will EAT and SWALLOW that senko. LoL. You'll gut hook more fish if you allow them too much time to eat it. Senkos are just so good to them they don't waste time in eating them. As soon as you detect a strike...set that hook. This is just my favorite way of fishing a senko, but different conditions will dictate how I rig them and my techniques with them...it's an incredibly versatile bait and can be fished a number of ways...you can rig them texas (weighted or weightless), wacky, carolina, drop-shot, split-shot, darterhead, or even as a jig or spinnerbait trailer. I've caught fish using them all of those ways. Right now in the hot sommer months...my favorite way to fish them is to wacky-rig them and cast/skip them underneath of docks or overhanging trees or brush way back into the shade.
[signature]
I just signed up for the weekly news letter from Gary. It is a pretty good site and the newsletter does remind you of a few things to buy as well as new products and how-to's. Here is the site:

[url "http://www.baits.com/"]http://www.baits.com/[/url]

How about stink (scents) on your Senko - does this help produce any better?
[signature]
IFG Thanks for the reality check. I unknowingly opened the (fishing the Prove out of Jordenel) thread and found myself being sucked in by the dark side. Whew, That was a close one. Thanks,Cableguy
[signature]
Hey hustler I think we need to head out to jordanelle or pineview or bluelake soon so you can show me how exactly you fish those senkos![Smile]
[signature]
I use Senkos year round...but I have gotten sick of the price. Bass pro sells "stick-o's', which fish as well as the Senko...for half the price.Run a search on Ebay for "senko". Also, on ebay, a guy sells under the name 'bestbassbaits.com. I've baught a buch of his knock offs, and they are fantastic! Sorry Yammie clones... Gary,get real with your pricing, and I'll be back. Til then, I'll continue to slay 'em with the so called "knockoffs"!
[signature]
Have you ever tried the wave worm knock offs. Their just like senko's but a bit thinner which can be a good thing at times cause they sink alittle slower. Ive tried the 4" at Jordenelle and the perch actually swallow them. They wouldn't do that with the 4" Senko's, for me anyway.
[signature]
I haven't seen the wave knockoffs, but it seems that the thinner "senko like" worms are the newest thing. I received an e-mail from the guy at www bestbassbaits.com, and he is now making these thinner "senko type" worms. I would suggest that anyone who enjoys fishing with senkos should check out this guys website, or better yet, check out his Ebay auctions. You can get a better deal on his auctions than you can get off of his website.Just run a search on Ebay using the word "senko" As I have stated, I think Yamamoto makes a GREAT product, but they are too darned expensive! Happy fishing all!!!!
[signature]