Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJ strike report 8/18-spiders?
i just got back from strike. caught a few crappie but they were big, one trout, and a few sturgeon. few fish but tons of spiders! at night they are everywere around the rocks. i was wondering if anyone knows what kind of spiders they are. they're big too. i get creeped out by spiders haha.
[signature]
I saw them at Brownlee. They made my 16 year old son scream like a girl. I got to admit they creeped me out too. Ron
[signature]
You mean these things:

[inline PICT0024.JPG]

I walked by dozens of these at Strike yesterday.
[signature]
Look like catfaces, lots of em in Idaho and those suckers get big!
[signature]
That is no Catface. I do get them around my place when I plant tomatoes tho. They are big and seem like they are upside down sometimes when looking at them. No idea what they are tho.
[signature]
yes, looks like them. at least the majority look like that. man they creep me out, i have to admit i probably sounded like a little girl down there too.
[signature]
the rascals really like putting there webs across the trails down to the river below steck park. when your lantern runs out of propane and you are half way to the truck and you walk into the big webs and feel those guys on you not to fun. took my wife down there and she is TERRIFIED of even little jumping spiders so you can imagine the trouble i had with her and the spiders ! but they are some of the things that make fishing so fun ! i wonder how they would be on a # 8 hook ?????
[signature]
theres THOUSANDS of them at night. make sure you have a flashlight and watch where you walk. those things made me reel in my pole as fast as i could and run outa there lol
[signature]
I have camped at CJ Strike and sometimes those spiders are everywhere, especially hanging from the few trees. Fortunately, they only seem to be bad at certain times of the year. I am also not a fan of spiders or snakes.
[signature]
You should see the chain link fences on the dam. The lights draw the bugs, which in turn draw the spiders. It's one huge spider's nest from one side to the other this time of year. Last time I was there, I saw several spiders with butts as large as my thumbnail crawling across the concrete slabs.
[signature]
Yes the fences are bad too! The buts on them are huge!
[signature]
1st post, been reading for a couple of years at least, so finally hi everyone.
We are/were planing on going to CJ tomorrow, our first time there. If the wife reads this, or knows I read it and then took her into big spiders I am in trouble. May have to rethink where to go tomorow. I'll still try to talk her into CJ but we'll see. Spiders and her don't mix to well.

Reading here is so informative, thanks to all, we check often. Hope I posted this right.

Good fishing everyone.
[signature]
Welcome to the forum.

Where ever you go let us know how you do. Without reports and posts -- good or bad the forum is useless. Your reports are important!

Hope to hear from you some more!!
[signature]
I couldn't believe how dense they were at CJ. I was there last night and in one bush I counted at least 8 that were all quarter sized. Thought about sticking the tip of my pole in there and getting one to crawl on and chase my buddy around.

To be honest, if I hadn't read this post before I left (thank you for the warning by the way), I wouldn't have looked for them, and probably wouldn't have seen them, until I was face first in a web wondering why my back was numb...
[signature]
I went down to celebration park with my roomate and counted more than 30 of these guys on one sagebrush plant. So the next trip we went to Swan falls... Same story there. Most of them were the size of a quarter or bigger. My roomate wont go fishing on the snake with me anymore.
[signature]
that looks just like the huge banana spiders i used to see in Korea.... they freak me out!
[signature]
do you know if they are very harmful to humans?
[signature]
The types of spiders that cause problems for humans around here do not weave the typical wheel shaped web. They either don't weave webs at all, or have funnel shaped webs.

These guys are big and creepy looking, but harmless. They are not aggressive and for the most part, they stay on their webs and go about their own business. If you blunder into their web, they just want to get away.

Personally, I don't have a problem with them as long as they don't try to climb on me.
[signature]
thank you for the info.
[signature]