Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE NAME OF THIS FISH
[Image: 729180-R1-19-19.jpg]
[signature]
Weird??[:p]
[signature]
where did you catch it at.. fresh or salt water?

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It is a "kelpfish". They live around rocks and other places where kelp grows. Their size and shape mimics a kelp leaf...for camoflage.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They have small mouths but can be caught on lots of different baits...shrimp, mussel, squid, etc. They even take small jigs and flies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They look funny but they are good eating. The skin is scaleless, like a catfish, and you should skin them before cooking. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of wierd-looking fish around the rocks in California. You should try "poke-poling" in the tidal areas of northern California. You shove a long rod with a short line and baited hook down into the holes under rocks and then wait for something to pull back. Never know what you might haul out...hand over hand on the rod. One of the more common catches is the "monkey-faced eel". Just the name gives you an idea of what they might look like. Here's a pic.[/#0000ff]

[inline EEL.jpg]
[signature]
WOW thanks for the info TD I didn't think about eating it at the moment... LOL

P.S YOU SURE DO KNOW YOUR STUFF...
[signature]
Other trhan TD's response I will say George????[:p][:p]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Ah shucks. That was an easy one. I lived in So. Cal. and fished all the coastline for quite a few years. That's where I started tubing...over 50 years ago. I have actually fished just about every mile of the Pacific coastline from far down on Baja to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. I also worked on commercial fishing boats, open party boats, charter boats and my own boats up and down the coast. So, I have caught or seen almost every species you can think of at one time or another.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Where were you fishing when you caught that little rascal? They get much bigger and the live bait guys occasionally catch some bigger ones while fishing calicos out around the kelp beds.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
ocean fish scare me, so i stick to freshwater [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Oh you big fraidy cat. Maybe you would feel better going back to those wild and wooly fish in Iraq. Now those were some scary fish. Still got any pictures you could post up for the local "troops"?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A lot of things scare me...but I still got married.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
i have a few. last i heard (FEB of this year) 90% of that stuff was still there and still being used on a daily basis that yall sent to us.
[signature]
first and foremost I think it is awesome equipment was sent to the troopers and they are obviously are taking advantage of it.. but..

those last two pics of the area around the bridge and palace.. man there are a lot of fish wanting to eat up some flies.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
yea but you would have to make a 200 yard cast, spey rod any one lol. google or youtube "Al Faw Fish" and you will see how long the bridge over the lake is and the ferocity of these fish. i used to throw a large pizza in there and the carp and asp would eat it lol
[signature]
[quote macfly55]first and foremost I think it is awesome equipment was sent to the troopers and they are obviously are taking advantage of it [cool][/quote]

it was one of the coolest F'ing (yes i used it to make a point) things i have ever seen a group of strangers do. people would come up and meet my brother and say thanks, drop off gear or money for shipping and leave. i really wish we could have got more names because i could have had more flags flown for them
[signature]
Oh i was fishing newport harbor in my float tube here r some pics of me and my sister...

[Image: 729180-R1-21-20A.jpg]

[Image: 729180-R1-18-18.jpg]

[Image: 729180-R1-23-22A.jpg]

[Image: 729180-R1-17-17.jpg]

[Image: 729180-R1-14-14.jpg]

[Image: 729180-R1-11-10A.jpg]

[Image: 729180-R1-07-7.jpg]

[Image: 729180-R1-10-10.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the pics. Brings back memories...good memories.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Looks like sis is "hooked" on tubing too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
awesome... the support to our troops is well deserved...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
1 Tuber, I love those pictures. I would love to hook a Halibut in a tube and on a fly if possible.
Very cool fish there!
[signature]
Now that does look like fun. Maybe one day I will get to play in salt water.[Smile] Until then freshwater it is.
[signature]
Well it was a lot of fun and yes I think my sister is hooked on float tubing. Oh by the way it was a 23 inch halibut and it was fun to catch in the tube, but that day me and my sister agreed that we were just going to catch and release that day. Going back monday I will post more pics then. [fishon]
[signature]
Those are some GREAT pictures kid.
Thank you for sharing[Smile]

Peter
[signature]