Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preston Area Lakes
The Wife, Kids and I took a drive up to get our Lotto tickets "refreshed" on Sunday and decided to take a drive by some of the lakes. Condie was getting low but still launchable, passed a nice Nitro Bass Boat coming out, so if he could get in/out I'm sure other craft's could as well. Glendale had about 7 boats on it, surprisingly it wasnt as low as I was expecting. I didnt get a chance to get up to the boat ramp at Lamont, but it seemed much lower than the others with no boats on the water. Forgot the turnoff to get to Johnson, so didnt get a chance to see it. Coming back from Condie noticed a lot of water flowing on the Bear and just noticed the post about them draining down Oneida, so maybe it started already??? Hopefully I get one more shot at these lakes before the family and I move down to Las Vegas. We will be up to visit for sure though!!!
TS
[signature]
seems like the bear has ran high most of the year. I imagine it has something to do with the draining.
[signature]
They do not do the sportsmans hours anymore that I know of. It is kind of Sad. I heard that someone thinks that a steady flow is better they the up and down. It is Sad as now the moss can grow and clog it up. Makes it hard to fish. When they would lower it, the fishing was great for a few hours each day. It is really high now that they are draining it. My Dad came with me up to look at Oneida last night and was talking about the levels when he was a kid. They would run it even higher then it is now during the day and then it would come down at night. There was also not much moss then. I even remember less moss when i was little. What ever management program the power company has in place (if any) seems to be making that river much worse for fishing in the summer.
[signature]
So it's not just me. I quit fishing it a couple of months ago because of the moss. It's pretty ridiculous. If you don't get a hit within the first few seconds of a cast, you've got a big glob of gunk on the end of your line. And it's suspended throughout the water column, so it doesn't matter what you use, or how fast your retrieve, it's all the same.
[signature]
It is Sad that the river is only not mossy for a short time of the year. I do not have the patience for it so I avoid it also. Wonder if there is anything that can be done?
[signature]
ya they have done away with the fishing hours and have gone to a constant flow, it does allow the moss to grow but that also gives the fish a little more area to hide. They did the constant flow to stop the erosion further down stream and it has realy improved the banks and water clarity. Down stream on my familys land we now have trees, shrubs, and cliffs growing along the banks were is use to be sand cliffs. Personaly i think the quality of fish in the narrows is improving also. Im not sure this has to do with the flow rates or as much the reduces limits. I still wish the fishing would return to what it was 15 years ago... man there use to be some monster browns
[signature]
Good to hear there is positive things from it. Sometimes it is hard to see what good maybe happening outside ones own perspective. If the fishing is improving, I guess I should learn to be more patient and fish it more.
[signature]