Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not mooned today
[cool][#0000ff]I experienced two "firsts" on Willard Bay today. First was a forecast with the word "CALM" in it. Second was a forecast that was actually right for a change.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Looked up at the big full moon on the way to the south marina this morning and wondered..."Is this the trip I get mooned...wiped out by the big bright orb in the sky?" Nope. Didn't happen. But I did not expect to slay the wipers and in that I was not disappointed...sort of.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A chilly 52 degrees air temp when I Saddled up my tube on the ramp. The big chunk of cheese (moon) was just settling into the west and it made a cool launch shot. Water temp was 69.4 at launch and warmed a couple of degrees before I got out about noonish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Forecast called for NW breezes early. And it was a bit bumpy outside the channel when I launched at 6:30. So I fished several spots inside the channel until the chop subsided a bit. An hour of diligent dragging minnows, chuckin' cranks and plastics produced nuttin'...not even a bump. Didn't see much on sonar inside either.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Resumed prospecting as I rounded the north side of the marina entrance. My bait and lures continued to be lonely. No attention from anything. Not even snags. Started thinking about the moon again.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not even the tiniest sniff on bait or lures for exactly 2 hours. I know. I looked at my watch at 8:30 and made that mental note. Then WHAM. Had a hard hit on a blue/sparkle tube jig tipped with worm. Thought maybe a wiper. Nope. Fought different. Walleye? Well, maybe a smooth skinned whiskery walleye. It was the first of many cookie cutter kitties that suddenly decided to come out to play.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had worked my way down the dike into the ZONE...the area I almost always catch a few kitties. Bless their cooperative souls. They never send me home smelling like skunk...just cookie slime.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I wanted some cats for another upcoming family fish fry so I kept the first 8 to join me in my tube. That only took about a half hour. But, I kept fishing minnows until they were gone...hoping for something that starts with "W"...didn't care whether it was wiper or wallie. Didn't happen. Just went through my remaining minnows and releasing a bunch of cookies. Nothing over about 19" today.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Figured I would fish plastics on the way back to the ramp. Rigged up one rod with a high-low double dropshot rig...with my "hanger shot" sinker on the bottom. Two white and silver glitter plastics...one with a red eye and the other with a chartreuse eye. The other rod I rigged with a large pearl twister on the bottom and a 2" white tube jig a couple of feet up to complete the tandem rig. I set my electric motor on 2 and began bottom bouncing the double dropshot rig while casting and retrieving the tandem plastics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sheesh! Those silly kitties really wanted to play with plastic today. My drop shot rod kept bending over and bouncing with one catfish after another. If I had a few seconds between pulldowns I would cast the tandem plastics and get whacked on those. I had doubles a couple of times.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was only about halfway back to the channel entrance when I finally decided I had had all the fun I could stand. The lake was glass and I couldn't enjoy fighting the chop. The stupid fish wouldn't leave me alone long enough to take a munch from my sandwich. I had a limit of cookie cutter kitties and it was getting bothersome continuing to get slimy hands from releasing them. Didn't look like anything else was joing to join the party. So, I brung in both rods, cranked my little electric motor up on 5 and headed for an early departure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Talked to several returning boaters when I hit the ramp. None of them had caught anything out trolling all morning. One guy said he had done well last week, including an 8.5# wiper, but he had not had a hit all morning today. I was sure glad the kitties like me. I would rather keep busy with them than catch a long nap between wipers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Okay, full moon effects many fish both fresh and salt, but would a full moon effect Catfish/bottom dwellers?
[signature]
I really wonder how it will be to be able to fish in the middle of the week[Wink] I am very envious of that freedom some of you others out there have[frown]

But again I can live it through the writings of this filler of dreams and desires TubeDude, thanks TD. Great looking fish and story.
[signature]
Cool report and pic's, Thank's for sharing.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Okay, full moon effects many fish both fresh and salt, but would a full moon effect Catfish/bottom dwellers?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Catfish are not known for being turned off by phases of the moon. But they can be affected by fronts, high winds, sudden water temp drops, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, the wipers and walleyes are generally considered to be less active during daytime hours during a full moon period.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The whole point of my story was that the kitties saved the day...when the other guys weren't biting.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have often wanted to take a sample of Pat's DNA and see if he is part catfish. Sounds like they were extremely willing to eat the TD offerings whether minnow-like or plastic-coated. Pat, I figure you have eaten a "few" catfish in your day. Do the willard cats taste better than the cookies out of Utah Lake?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Obviously that is a very subjective thing...subject to one's individual likes and dislikes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Howsomever, among those of us who have had the opportunity to dine on both...and compare them...we generally agree that the ones from Willard are among the best we have ever eaten. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The texture, color and taste of any fish flesh is usually influenced by a combination of habitat and food resources. The deeper and clearer water of Willard...and the more varied food sources...seem to result in firmer flesh with a more yellowish (oils) color. And the texture and flavor of the cooked fillets is great. They are white, flaky and mild. TubeBabe and I have commented more than once that with some recipes they come out as fine as any high-priced seafood dishes we have eaten in upscale restaurants...very close to sole when grilled in the basket. (See attached pic)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff][#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got an idea. Lets Saddle up your tube and drag you up there for a session. You can conduct your own personal taste test. Log it in on your time sheet as R & D. You won't be sorry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Forget the DNA. I don't like needles. Too much like fish hooks. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote idahopanfish]I really wonder how it will be to be able to fish in the middle of the week[Wink] I am very envious of that freedom some of you others out there have[frown]

But again I can live it through the writings of this filler of dreams and desires TubeDude, thanks TD. Great looking fish and story.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]I know how you are feeling. I put in my years of forced slavery (working for a living) so that someday I could retire and fish more often. But, don't wish your life away. It will come soon enough. Take advantage of the times you can squeeze out these days and be patient for the greater freedom to come. If you are fortunate enough to escape the work force with a few extra dollars, your good health and all of the other things necessary to enjoy your retirement then GO FOR IT.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm glad you enjoy my rantings. You know I only go fishing and post reports for your enjoyment...not mine. Yeah, right.[/#0000ff]
[signature]