Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trip suggestions?
I'm in desparate need of a road trip and am looking for suggestions on where to go. I like to fish at least one new river a year and would like to go out and try something new. Would like to keep it within 5 hours or so of Salt Lake. I'm not looking for anyone's secret place. It can be chock full of people. Just want to try something different. To eliminate certain suggestions here's where I've tried: In Idaho over the years I've fished South Fork, Henry's Fork, Silver Creek, Big Wood, and Malad River. Wyoming I've hit Ham's Fork, Green River in various spots, New Fork, Snake, Grey's, Miracle Mile, and Salt (did the cutt slam one year, caught all four in a day and half, fishing a few smaller waters.). In Colorado I've only fished the Animas. In Utah I've fished too many to list, but there are plenty out there I haven't. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
[signature]
Might be a little farther than 5 hours, but the July/Aug/Sep issue of Fly Fisherman magazine has me already planning a summer 2011 road/backpacking trip to a small creek in Colorado called the Elk Creek. The cover photo is a fish caught there.

There is a series of 4 meadows, first one is 3 miles in, the rest are spread out at about 2-3 miles apart. From the description and pictures, it's a small mountain creek with big--really big--trout. It says July-September (weather permitting) are the best.

It looks beautiful and like it would be a lot of fun.
[signature]
careful in that area, alot oh hunters. being from CO that article made me cringe a little, but after realizing 90% of the people would onyl make it to the first meadow and not go any further i relaxed a little.

i would also recommend the gunnison river in CO, or the East, Roaring Fork, Fryingpan, or Taylor
[signature]
North Fork of the Shosone is nice if you don't mind grizzlies feeding on berries this time of year. Might be a bit longer than 5 hours to reach. Lee's Ferry is about 5 hours away and doesn't get the crowds of the Green. The fish aren't quite as stunted and slug-like compared to the Green . If you want to get away from people and don't mind catch smaller trout mostly try Deep Creek on the Utah/ Nevada border, Jarbidge on the Nevada/ Idaho border or the Bookcliffs are all less than 5 hours away from SLC. Be sure to give us a report wherever you go.
[signature]
Thank you for the suggestions. Not sure where I'm going yet, but it will most likely be one of the suggestions above. Leaning toward the Cody area, but would try to hit places on the way. But Colorado has lots of options and I love hiking into places and getting away. I think I'm going to load up my motorcycle, which means I take less stuff, but get to go farther because of the gas savings (55 mpg versus 21).
[signature]