Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small streams
I tried some CDC caddis flies for the first time this last week. They were great!!! They floated in the film and if they did sink they dried out with a false cast or two. Not all of the flies I used were CDCs as I gave many of them up to the "Willow and Fish Gods" but most were some type of caddis imitation.

I thought I would put a copy of my Idaho post here to share with you all, but to see the pictures I think I will just direct you to the thread there. It takes TOO long to upload them again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread

I went back out and visited another small stream. I now have a different card in my camera so I thought I would share a few pictures with you all, since I lost my last pictures.

This stream is very small, very very brushy, with some beaver ponds and fly eating willows! In other words a typical east Idaho trickle.

The fish were very easily spooked in that shallow water. It was hard to get a fly on the water without all of the fish making a dash for the closest cover. I can't tell you how many holes I struggled through the brush to get to, only in time to see the fish all making a wild scramble to get away!

Most of the fish were cutthroats of from 6 to 10 inches, but lower down there were a few rainbows mixed in. Some went a bit larger, but not many.

It was frustrating, but still a lot of fun!
[signature]
it may of been frustrating.. and hard to not spook the fish but seems you did a good job of catching some nice looking fish... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Hi cpierce and thanks for the report & pictures. Heck I wouldn't mind catching any of those fish on a light wt rod. Seems like Idaho is full of small stream. Here are a couple of pictures of what I found the last time I visited your beautiful state.[/#008000][/font]
[inline "Fox Creek 2..JPG"]
[inline "Fox Creek..JPG"]
[signature]
Looks like an interesting little creek. Sometimes looks can really be deceiving on those small streams. One that you think is too small to bother with can hold some nice fish.

Is that the Fox Creek off of the Big Wood River?
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]This creek is just a few miles NW of Victor.[/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Actually I found this river quite a bit more productive. It's the Teton River out of Tetonia.[/#008000][/font]
[center][inline "Teton River..jpg"]
[signature]
[quote Dryrod]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][.img][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]This"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/.../happy.gif[/img]This[/url] creek is just a few miles NW of Victor.[/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Actually I found this river quite a bit more productive. It's the Teton River out of Tetonia.[/#008000][/font]
[center][/quote]

That river gets even better if your willing to hike down in on the canyon section, some monster cuttys hangout down in there.
[signature]
Man I love small streams like that. Get's my heart pumping!
[signature]
AJF in your post, you give whole new meaning to small creeks...LOL
Look forward to more of these kind of posts, thanks Cpierce...very cool.
[signature]