Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Bubble Up Report 8/15/03
Just wanted to report on my trip to the bubble up this morning. I grabbed my little bro again, and first we headed out onto the provo dike to check out fuzzy's secret fishing hole at the end of the dike. It was so shallow and we would have had to wade out a ways, I figured that they would come in that shallow at night, but probably not in late morning or noon, so I turned around and went to the bubble up.

Got to the bubble up at 10:00. Walked out on the pipe as far as we could go. Tied on my trusty T-swivel rig, with a worm on both hooks, while I was letting my carp meat thaw from being in the freezer. My little bro. caught two bullhead, about 12 inches long each, and I caught another one. Then, when the carp meat thawed out, around 11:30 I threw on a 1 inch piece of carp meat onto one of my hooks, and one of his, so we were now both fishing a worm and a piece of carp meat. Casted out just out from where the bubbles come out of the pipe. Within 5 minutes of having casted out, I just about lost my pole because it started shooting out into the water. I grabbed it in time, I didnt even set the hook because just picking up my pole set it good. It fought fairly hard, was a great fight. Nice channel cat measured 20 inches and I estimate it weighed about 3 lbs. It was hooked in the lip. I couldn't get the hook out, and I broke the hook with my pliers, so if anyone catches a channel with half a hook in his lip it was mine. [Tongue]

I tied on another hook and put on a new piece of carp meat. I casted to the same spot, just north of the bubbles/pipe. It hadn't sat there more than 2 minutes when his big brother hit. I set the hook hard after giving him a little slack. I knew it was another channel, but he didn't fight quite as hard. When I got him in close, I couldn't bring him up to see him, and he bolted and started stripping line out. It was a lot of fun. When I finally got him up, he was about 20 inches as well, but quite a bit fatter. i guess about 4 lbs. Got nothing after that, but left only half hour later (had to come into work sometime [Smile]). It was a bit breezy off an on while we were out, and a few clouds would cover the sun from time to time. The water is really green! Please excuse the long post!
[signature]
Nice report cat_man! I really need to get out there again soon. I miss those cats. They are one of my favorite to catch and eat[Tongue]. Although I have been eating a lot of perch and crawdad lately. A bunch of us will have to get together and head out there soon.[Wink]
[signature]
Sounds good! The next time I'll be out is probably next Saturday, a week from tomorrow, at night. I plan on going out from like maybe 6:00 pm to 10 or 10:30pm. Would love to have some company. The more lines we have out with bait, the more cats we attract in, right? Who knows.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks for the great report, cat_man! Don't worry about the long posts; we've become accustom to them from TD![/size][/font][Tongue][Wink]
[signature]
Great report! Long posts are usually the most fun. I personally take pleasure in reliving the moment through the posters words. I've never been to the bubble up but I can imagine you guys walking out on a long pipe and the look on your face diving for your rod before it dissapears forever into the "pea soup". It's like reading a good novel and getting involved in the story. I like it and I'm sure others do too, keep it up but add more action next time[Wink]. Don't forget to describe how you slipped and bust your @$$ diving for the pole[sly].

KEEP PULLING IN THOSE CATS!!!!

Al
[signature]
I think I could hang with going out next saturday eve.Lets keep in touch and feel free to pm me with any more details or changes and I'll do the same.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][font "Times New Roman"][#ff0000][size 5]OUCH![/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Hey that was shorter than BLM's disclaimer LOL
[signature]
Sounds good. My little bro and sis. went out there again on Saturday morning and they caught 3 channels between them. They were all small ones, but not bad for the middle of the day. Keep in touch. I have one half a carp fillet left for bait, and a half cooked piece of chicken thigh that I thought I might try. I can get more carp beforehand if you need me to for bait.
[signature]