Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halibuts and Georgia
Now that i caught your attention with the subject title let me explain. I went to a new spot Ive been trying out near the "Wedge" in Newport Beach California. I was fishing a area near a rocky point using a piece of shrimp on a leader with a bullet weight on my ultralight rod with 6 pound test when WHAM!!! I got a solid smack on my rod. I leaned back and got a solid hook-set and away I went. This was my first "Big Fish" and I wasnt prepared to see my ultralight rod double in half. At one point I had to hold the rod tip straight while this thing almost completley spooled my reel. After getting yanked all over the harbor it seemed like and spinning me round and round I managed to horse him close to tubeside. I thought i had won the battle and the thing dove every time i got him close to fin level. After another couple minutes of that game i finally got him in eye shot and saw it was a BIG halibut. My first.... After closer inspection i noticed he far surpassed my deicated bassin net and decided to try and try anyways. I managed to get him halfway in the net and got a few pics and then scurried to shore to safely remove the hook and release the beast. We also managed to hook into a couple other craoker and bass, as well as a hal-ette as TD would call it. Heres a couple of pics.Couldnt get a exact measurement but around 22 -24 inches on the monster. Man what a feelin !!!!

Now for the second part of my post. A couple of weeks ago i went out to Georgia to visit my folks. We planned a camping trip since the last few visits entailed family visits and "seing the town" I spent the fist day at theyre place then early the next morning the whole troop loaded up and we headed out to our camp ground in South Carolina at a lake called lake Horton. Said to be a whopping 3000 sq acres. The trip was great and we managed to catch a few striped bass as well as a variety of small cats,sun fish and the biggest damn turtles ive ever seen/caught. Sorry not a whole lot of fish pics, dont ask why i get more pics out on my tube then bank tangling. The weather was not the greatest hot and humid with occasional downpours from the thunderstorms wich seemed to inhibit the bite alittle not to mention the water was as hot as a warm bath. Maybe next time ill risk the snakes and go for bringin my tube. oh one last thing, the last picture is a restaraunt my parents took us. It was all you can eat country cookin on a huge lazy suzan. Maybe the best fried chicked and corn bread ive ever had.
[signature]
Cool report and pic's. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Sooooo jealous of that Halibut, but those little tubes in that harbor are way scary to me, but I have been in a tube at our PINEVIEW. That can inflict the fear of God in anyone.
[signature]
awesome pics and recap... that halibut is huge.. not surprised he tugged you around for a while.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
It's not so bad in the harbor because of the no wake zone on all of th harbor. As long as you exersize safe judgement and stay out of the boat lanes you have nothing to worry about except for large seals. I find it to be a little more slow going than some of the lakes I visit
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice work. Great pics. Congrats on the flattie.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I used to fish all over Newport...inside and outside. If you want some "respectable" 'buts you need to fish 'chovies. I used to buy fresh dead from Art's Landing...or at least some good frozen ones. Then I would drag them over the bottom with an open bail, like I do for catfish. When a fish picked up the bait I let it run and then POW. That got me lots of decent halibut out off the little rock finger on the Corona Del Mar side...inside the bay. On the other side of the jetty...off the beach...I have caught them over 20 pounds. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]During the late fall and winter you can really get some good fishing out off the ends of the jetties. Fish a piece of squid either "fly lining" next to the rocks...or on a jig cast parallel. Calicos, opaleye, cabezon, sheepshead and even a lot of nice Catalina Blue Perch at times.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sometimes the bonitos and barries come in between the end of the jetties and the buoy at the mouth of the marina. Hammer plastics will get you bit. There are even some yellowtail and white seabass at times. And there is one spot out from the Corona Del Mar jetty that is a depression in the bottom that has really produced some mega flatties. You can cast to it from the rocks if you are good, but it works much better to drag a chovy from the tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You're doing fine. Keep up the good work.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks alot TD. By the way your book has taken me to an all new level of angling. To have that great and descripted accounts of actual teqniques that you use opposed to some Jo-schmo who thinks he knows how to catch fish is invaluable. By the way where's the "Southern California honey hole" chapter?.... Just kiddin. Anyone that's lookin for some GOOD reading material, don't hesitate best $20 I ever spent
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, you wrote that just the way I asked you to. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm afraid I am a bit out of touch with today's fishing in So. Cal. I'm sure I could figure out some patterns and some places if I got back over there. But I will probably have to be content with my memories. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the post and pics. I haven't been salt water in many years, but it did bring back memories of being towed around on a pontoon by big fish. This is about the only way to catch powerful or clever fish on light tackle. That is because you can chase and position when the line is about played out or if the fish dives for cover in rock jetties. But I am surprised the warden allowed your small craft in the harbor. I was chased off by the warden a couple of times because the "big boat can't see you" down there and "the big boys been drinkin" and will run you over. But that was at port mansfield, Tx many years ago... No halibut but lots of large reds, flounder, sheepshead, and even a few smaller red snapper.... I used to tempt fate and work close outside the harbor when conditions were good, but be careful doing that kind of thing on a tube.

Pon

[quote Bassassin714]Now that i caught your attention with the subject title let me explain. I went to a new spot Ive been trying out near the "Wedge" in Newport Beach California. I was fishing a area near a rocky point using a piece of shrimp on a leader with a bullet weight on my ultralight rod with 6 pound test when WHAM!!! I got a solid smack on my rod. I leaned back and got a solid hook-set and away I went. This was my first "Big Fish" and I wasnt prepared to see my ultralight rod double in half. At one point I had to hold the rod tip straight while this thing almost completley spooled my reel. After getting yanked all over the harbor it seemed like and spinning me round and round I managed to horse him close to tubeside. I thought i had won the battle and the thing dove every time i got him close to fin level. After another couple minutes of that game i finally got him in eye shot and saw it was a BIG halibut. My first.... After closer inspection i noticed he far surpassed my deicated bassin net and decided to try and try anyways. I managed to get him halfway in the net and got a few pics and then scurried to shore to safely remove the hook and release the beast. We also managed to hook into a couple other craoker and bass, as well as a hal-ette as TD would call it. Heres a couple of pics.Couldnt get a exact measurement but around 22 -24 inches on the monster. Man what a feelin !!!!

Now for the second part of my post. A couple of weeks ago i went out to Georgia to visit my folks. We planned a camping trip since the last few visits entailed family visits and "seing the town" I spent the fist day at theyre place then early the next morning the whole troop loaded up and we headed out to our camp ground in South Carolina at a lake called lake Horton. Said to be a whopping 3000 sq acres. The trip was great and we managed to catch a few striped bass as well as a variety of small cats,sun fish and the biggest damn turtles ive ever seen/caught. Sorry not a whole lot of fish pics, dont ask why i get more pics out on my tube then bank tangling. The weather was not the greatest hot and humid with occasional downpours from the thunderstorms wich seemed to inhibit the bite alittle not to mention the water was as hot as a warm bath. Maybe next time ill risk the snakes and go for bringin my tube. oh one last thing, the last picture is a restaraunt my parents took us. It was all you can eat country cookin on a huge lazy suzan. Maybe the best fried chicked and corn bread ive ever had.[/quote]
[signature]