Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beta Testing New Stuff
[cool][#0000ff]Between weather and "projects" I have had a tough time getting on the water since my trip to starvation last week. Only had a half day today so I figured I'd jump in someplace closer. I wanted to "beta test" some new gadgets and gizmos on my tube. Also wanted to pick up a few kitties for the smoker. Utah Lake seemed to be the best choice...and Lincoln Beach the best spot according to the wind direction forecast. I launched off the end of the south dike.

Air temp was a cool 45 at my 6:45 launch. Light breeze made it feel cooler. Put on my "fish rash" gloves for warmth. Water temp was 65. Coolin' right down. Probably my last waderless trip for this year. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The water was also kinda murky from recent winds. Did not look promising for much action on lures with the poor visibility. Oh well, maybe the kitties would bite my bait. Oh yeah! That they did.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]My first beta test was on my new PVC extension control handle for my electric motor. I rigged up a "knuckle joint" from PVC to allow me to steer and control speed from any angle. The only time I used it all day was moving away from launch and out into about six feet of water. Worked great but I did not need it for the rest of the morning.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Started with two bait rods...one minnow and one with carp meat. Just got the second one out and began slowly kicking toward the mouth of Benjamin Slough when the first rod twitched then bounced and the line popped free from the new bait clip arrangement. Beta test number two successful. The new rod holder and line clip worked.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I set the hook in a feisty kitty and had several turns of line back on the reel when rod number two jumped and the line popped free on that one. I adjusted the drag a bit looser on the first rod, set it back in the rod holder to play the fish by itself and set the hook on the second kitty. It was bigger so I left the first smaller one to fight against the flex of the rod as I kicked around to maintain tension. I finally got both fish in. I netted the second one first and held the net on my rigid apron while I finished subduing the first fish. Finally scooped it on top of the other one. Two in the net. Yeee hawww. What a way to start a trip.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I thought it was gonna be gangbusters. Well, it was, but it took a brief break in the action. After putting the first two fish in the basket I continued toward Benjamin Slough. The first fish had come from about 5.5 feet of water and I got shallower and shallower as I moved toward the south shoreline. No more bites until I passed the 4 foot depth and headed toward 3'. Then it got crazy. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]There must have been a huge school of fish right off the mouth of Benjamin Slough. I could not fish with two bait rods at one time. Within seconds after I lobbed out a baited hook the line would twitch and then the fish would boogie until I stopped them short with a hookset. I even had one hook itself on the tandem jig rig I had hanging off the back of my tube after quickly flopping it there when I got a bite on my bait rod. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]My goal was to score about six or seven cookie cutter kitties for the smoker. I had that many in my basket less than an hour after starting. I continued to use up the remaining minnows and carp meat and released all the other kitties I caught. I'm guessing I probably brought in over 20. Only missed one hookset all morning and I think that was a white bass.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]When the meat was gone I started throwing plastics with crawler tipping them. The kitties loved them too. Also got a few white bass and one feisty carp that hit a 4" red/chartreuse plastic I was pitching for walleye. It took me about an hour or so to get back to my vehicle...what with all the rude interruptions. I had wanted to be home by about noon and I eventually had to just quit fishing and get out of the water. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I had my gear stowed back in my car just after 10, had the fish filleted a half hour later and was home before noon.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I also was happy with the way my new high density foam pad worked on my seat. And I also like my new installation of the on/off switch on my right side. My only problem is that I sometimes lean on the switch and take a quick ride backwards if I am not paying attention.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The new rear view mirror also works great. It is a convex wide angle mirror that I found laying in the street in front of my house a couple of weeks ago. It is high impact plastic...not glass...so I was able to bolt it to a piece of PVC (what else) and make an easily adjustable swivel mount on my tool rack.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Only a couple of other boaters on the water before I left but more were arriving as I drove out. I am guessing it will be busy over the holiday weekend. But, if anybody is still looking for some kitty action there should be plenty for a while at Lincoln Beach.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Love your mirror especially since it is lighter weight than mine. Comes in handy when you go backwards most of the time and if you're not a young whippersnapper that has no trouble getting a crick in the neck from turning your head a hundred times. I couldn't find any quite like yours for sale anywhere- maybe I can trace one down by brand name if you have it. I have also used scullers view mirrors and bullseye bike convex mirrors, but you don't get as good of a "wide" angle view. Right now I use a truck convex that has a ball and socket and thus can be adjusted to ANY angle, up, down, on either side and even between the horizontal and vertical if needed. I mounted it to a battery clamp which holds securely on 1" wooden shaft without sliding when the teeth bite in. Thus you can move it forward or backward on the rod as well as to another boat if you have a clamp spot. I have a coil cord clip attached to keep from loosing overboard. The only thing I don't like is the weight since it is enclosed in metal which also tends to rust after awhile..

Think you have a winner there.

Pon

[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Between weather and "projects" I have had a tough time getting on the water since my trip to starvation last week. Only had a half day today so I figured I'd jump in someplace closer. I wanted to "beta test" some new gadgets and gizmos on my tube. Also wanted to pick up a few kitties for the smoker. Utah Lake seemed to be the best choice...and Lincoln Beach the best spot according to the wind direction forecast. I launched off the end of the south dike.

Air temp was a cool 45 at my 6:45 launch. Light breeze made it feel cooler. Put on my "fish rash" gloves for warmth. Water temp was 65. Coolin' right down. Probably my last waderless trip for this year. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The water was also kinda murky from recent winds. Did not look promising for much action on lures with the poor visibility. Oh well, maybe the kitties would bite my bait. Oh yeah! That they did.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]My first beta test was on my new PVC extension control handle for my electric motor. I rigged up a "knuckle joint" from PVC to allow me to steer and control speed from any angle. The only time I used it all day was moving away from launch and out into about six feet of water. Worked great but I did not need it for the rest of the morning.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Started with two bait rods...one minnow and one with carp meat. Just got the second one out and began slowly kicking toward the mouth of Benjamin Slough when the first rod twitched then bounced and the line popped free from the new bait clip arrangement. Beta test number two successful. The new rod holder and line clip worked.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I set the hook in a feisty kitty and had several turns of line back on the reel when rod number two jumped and the line popped free on that one. I adjusted the drag a bit looser on the first rod, set it back in the rod holder to play the fish by itself and set the hook on the second kitty. It was bigger so I left the first smaller one to fight against the flex of the rod as I kicked around to maintain tension. I finally got both fish in. I netted the second one first and held the net on my rigid apron while I finished subduing the first fish. Finally scooped it on top of the other one. Two in the net. Yeee hawww. What a way to start a trip.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I thought it was gonna be gangbusters. Well, it was, but it took a brief break in the action. After putting the first two fish in the basket I continued toward Benjamin Slough. The first fish had come from about 5.5 feet of water and I got shallower and shallower as I moved toward the south shoreline. No more bites until I passed the 4 foot depth and headed toward 3'. Then it got crazy. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]There must have been a huge school of fish right off the mouth of Benjamin Slough. I could not fish with two bait rods at one time. Within seconds after I lobbed out a baited hook the line would twitch and then the fish would boogie until I stopped them short with a hookset. I even had one hook itself on the tandem jig rig I had hanging off the back of my tube after quickly flopping it there when I got a bite on my bait rod. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]My goal was to score about six or seven cookie cutter kitties for the smoker. I had that many in my basket less than an hour after starting. I continued to use up the remaining minnows and carp meat and released all the other kitties I caught. I'm guessing I probably brought in over 20. Only missed one hookset all morning and I think that was a white bass.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]When the meat was gone I started throwing plastics with crawler tipping them. The kitties loved them too. Also got a few white bass and one feisty carp that hit a 4" red/chartreuse plastic I was pitching for walleye. It took me about an hour or so to get back to my vehicle...what with all the rude interruptions. I had wanted to be home by about noon and I eventually had to just quit fishing and get out of the water. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I had my gear stowed back in my car just after 10, had the fish filleted a half hour later and was home before noon.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I also was happy with the way my new high density foam pad worked on my seat. And I also like my new installation of the on/off switch on my right side. My only problem is that I sometimes lean on the switch and take a quick ride backwards if I am not paying attention.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The new rear view mirror also works great. It is a convex wide angle mirror that I found laying in the street in front of my house a couple of weeks ago. It is high impact plastic...not glass...so I was able to bolt it to a piece of PVC (what else) and make an easily adjustable swivel mount on my tool rack.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Only a couple of other boaters on the water before I left but more were arriving as I drove out. I am guessing it will be busy over the holiday weekend. But, if anybody is still looking for some kitty action there should be plenty for a while at Lincoln Beach.[/#0000ff][/quote]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The mirror is made by STRO-MIRO...R.J. Strohmeier Co. of Castle Rock, CO. I think it broke off the garbage truck that was picking up my garbage that day...without any help from me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Attached are pics of the original mirror setup, in the metal frame, and how I rigged it with PVC. The mirror itself weighs almost nothing and can be drilled for bolting. As you can see in the one pic I posted, it is a very clear image mirror and I think I will enjoy having it whenever I am moving toward a particular spot and don't want to keep turning around. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was kinda proud of how easily I was able to fab a simple connection to one of my utility holders. By leaving the connections unglued and unscrewed I have a complete range of adjustment...left, right, up, down and sideways. And it swings easily out of the way when not in use.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Cool! A lot of interesting projects. I like how you mounted your motor switch in an easy to see place.

How many of your attachments stay "permanently" on the tube? About how long does it take you to get setup and in the water?

Thanks for the review of the new stuff.
[signature]
"How many of your attachments stay "permanently" on the tube? About how long does it take you to get setup and in the water? "

[cool][#0000ff]My "modular" rod holders and utility rack holders go on and off quickly and easily. But, they swing flat when not in use...or during transport if I am carrying my tube at least partially inflated. I disconnect the bulky stuff...like net holder, mirror attachment and on/off switch. If I need to fully deflate my tube...like when I am riding with another tuber...I disconnect all the PVC attachments and keep them in a small gym bag.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I estimate that it takes me only about 5 minutes longer to setup and take down my tube with the motor, battery and all the PVC on it. Maybe less. I am still right there with anybody else at launch time. But that's not saying much for some folks. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A lot of what I have been playing with is a system to make it faster and easier to get on the water...and pack for the return. If I load everything in the right sequence...coming and going...the whole process flows fairly smoothly.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great new "stuff" TD. It just never ends the lure of the PVC and fishin'. What did we do berfore, how did we make it? Like triangulation vs gps, and lead weight depth finder and thermometers vs electronics. It's awesome.[fishin]
[signature]
[quote idahopanfish]Great new "stuff" TD. It just never ends the lure of the PVC and fishin'. What did we do berfore, how did we make it? Like triangulation vs gps, and lead weight depth finder and thermometers vs electronics. It's awesome.[fishin][/quote]
BUT, despite the wonderful advances in technology, they don't always make it easier. Example, I was on an Elk hunt in Colorado and we were based around 7800ft and I was hiking on a ridge about 4 miles from camp at ~10K ft and my wonderfully advanced GPS was telling me which direction camp was. Had I followed the GPS directions I would have been going in the wrong direction. Suspecting that might be the case as I'm "reasonably" good with direction, I used my military training, took out my topo map (I do carry one when hunting) and my compass and triangulated my position and also easily determined the direction I should be going...which was NOT the direction the GPS pointed me. Found out later that it was an issue with the soil composition of the ridge I was on...old mining area.

It does serve as one small lesson to teach our kids the "old school" way as it could save their life should all their high-tech gadgets fail them.
[signature]
TD, where did you get your high density foam seat pad? That is the waterproof stuff like what is in the FishCat 4 seats etc?

Thanks!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not the same as the foam seats. It is 4" high density foam used for making mattresses and cushions. Downside...it does soak up water. Upside, you can wring it out and it dries well. It is also very comfy over hard foam or a rigid seat like I use. I weigh a lot and over a full day I compress it down pretty good. But it is still infinitely more comfortable than without it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are lots of outlets for foam. You can look in the yaller pages. I suspect there are a few between Malad and Idaho Falls. I got mine at an Army Navy store right around the corner from where I live. It replaced some that I have had for about 10 years and was pretty well worn out. It does lose its spring over time. I know the feeling.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of outdoor and camping supply places sell different kinds of foam. If you are going to buy some take a piece and set it on a hard surface. Then sit on it to see how much cushion in provides or if it totally compresses.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have tried all kinds of boat cushions, stadium seats, etc. Some are waterproof and work okay but the plastic covers tend to have you slip slidin' away. The foam like I use is also anti skid. I do not have to reposition myself in my seat while fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks, good things to know.
[signature]
I concur. And I have never had the batteries in my trusty old Silva compass go dead.

Leechman
[signature]
I've used the foam from a discarded pool float to strengthen seat support. Stiff, durable, waterproof and does not compress permanently. It is only about 2" thick so you would have to use 2 or 3 pieces cut to size in the seat cavity, less for the back. Some of the foam at the end of the float is folded over and moulded to form a pillow, so that pillow section may be cut loose and work for the bottom cushion since it is thick and springy.

Just another possibility that I hope someone can use.

Pon

[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Not the same as the foam seats. It is 4" high density foam used for making mattresses and cushions. Downside...it does soak up water. Upside, you can wring it out and it dries well. It is also very comfy over hard foam or a rigid seat like I use. I weigh a lot and over a full day I compress it down pretty good. But it is still infinitely more comfortable than without it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are lots of outlets for foam. You can look in the yaller pages. I suspect there are a few between Malad and Idaho Falls. I got mine at an Army Navy store right around the corner from where I live. It replaced some that I have had for about 10 years and was pretty well worn out. It does lose its spring over time. I know the feeling.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of outdoor and camping supply places sell different kinds of foam. If you are going to buy some take a piece and set it on a hard surface. Then sit on it to see how much cushion in provides or if it totally compresses.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have tried all kinds of boat cushions, stadium seats, etc. Some are waterproof and work okay but the plastic covers tend to have you slip slidin' away. The foam like I use is also anti skid. I do not have to reposition myself in my seat while fishing.[/#0000ff][/quote]
[signature]