Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diamond Fork or Fish Creek?
Anyone hit these creeks lately? Was thinking of heading that way tomorrow.
[signature]
I'll answer my own post. Hit lower fish creek from about 9 am until noon. Water was a bit high and off color. Tried everything from hopper patterns, nymphs, and streamers, and only managed one cutthroat. My buddy got skunked in "his spot" for the first time ever.

Decided to pack up and head to the Diamond Fork. The river looked promising as it was a bit clearer and flows were good. I got excited when I saw several hoppers in the grasses. Not a single fish would rise to a hopper. My friend tried some nymphs and couldn't buy a single fish. We fished approximately two miles of river all to ourselves and it was terrible. We finally got a few dinks to hit some ant patterns.

It is just me or is anyone else struggling on rivers this year. It's been a long time since I've been skunked/felt skunkded as many times as I have this summer. It was really disappointing hitting two "gold medal" streams today without much luck at all. We didn't even see any fish scatter as we waded the rivers. Very unusual fishing. I consider myself a well versed fly fisherman and I'm just not sure what is going on. Anyone?
[signature]
I'll speak to LFC. It is clear fish numbers are significantly down. WInter kill and dewatering again this year. I wrote to DWR---asked them to consider catch and release only to help the fishery. I certainly identify with walking through holes this year and not seeing any fish scatter. I imagine LFC was full of moss beds this time of year.
Tough year for LFC.
[signature]