Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drownin' Dogs on the Middle Provo
I was coerced into camping on my in-law's property that contains a camp site about 30 yards from the Middle Provo (Heber area). I am no camper but I was promised I could fis as much as I want...and I did.

I am a rookie when it comes to fishing rivers. I usually catch a few but nothing like when I'm harassing Utah Lake. Plus, I'm in waders without my float tube...weird feeling.

I headed out in the late afternoon with my pit bull to see if I could scare a few trout out of the river. I had been fishing for about 10 minutes when my nieces and nephews came down to see what I was doing. All of the sudden I heard one of the kids say, "Oh no!" I turned around to see my pit bull going under and down river. Unfortunately she had followed me out into the river deeper than usual and I wasn't paying attention.

Lucky for me (and her) she made it to a big rock in the middle of the river and climbed on top. Unluckily for me, the rock was in the deepest and fastest part of the river. I made it to her with the water within inches of filling my waders and yes, I wasn't wearing a wading belt. Didn't think I would get into deep water. Dumb wagdog. Dumb!

I got a good foothold and drug my 50 pound puppy through the current to the shallows. She was very wet, had a head full of water, but glad to be alive. I was pretty dang wet and was convinced I was going to hate camping even more. My wife was kind enough to occupy my dog back at camp while I snuck back down to the river.

When I got there, I remembered sitting in a joint called the Tackletorium and some DUDE stating that he used to use roadrunners to catch browns. I didn't have any roadrunners but I did have some small spinners that should be flashy enough for the browns.

I switched to a small silver bluefox that most of you know and love and proceeded to catch five browns in a short amount of time. Smallest was 6 inches and biggest was 16. No camera since I was still waterlogged.

I hit the same area in the morning and got 8 more all around the 12-14 inch size range on rooster tails and blue foxes. My wife had to drag me out of the river so I could help her break camp and head home. At least I wasn't shivering on a big rock in the middle of the river... I had a good time. I didn't drown and my dog didn't drown. We just attempted it. [Wink][Wink]
[signature]
Hey Glen,

Great post....sorry to hear about the dog, glad he's alright tho.

Those browns can be fun and seem to hit the spinners of almost any color if you can find an area that holds em.

Great post, look forward to heading out soon on UL with ya....its almost froze, just kidding...but it will be 40 degrees tonight...thats almost freezing,

Shawn M
[signature]
I am convinced that trout are no smarter than any other fish. If a redneck from Texas who never saw a trout until he was 18 can catch one, anyone can. Definitely fun. Definitely not something I typically eat but I'll keep a couple next time to release into the grease.

I've started emptying out all the ice my icemaker can create into Lindon Boat Harbor. It hasn't done anything to the water yet but it does make the guys who run that joint think I'm crazy. Keep others away when I'm fishing too! [Wink][Wink]
[signature]
Texas redneck. There's more than 3 of us in Utah? I knew there something about you I liked.
Have you ever noticed my tat? I'll have to PM you and see if we ever stomped the same grounds..
[signature]
Nice ink. I guess more and more migrate up here all the time. My brother lives in Provo (one more[Wink]) and one of our cousins lives across the street from him. I'm not sure if that cousin claims Texas or Louisiana as home so let's not up the tally yet!
[signature]