Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weston/Condie Report
I wanted to get out of town and hit some water that I hadn't seen in a while so Steelfisher and I went to Weston and then Condie.

We got to Condie around 8:00 in the morning. The fishing was fast and furious from the beginning. Steelfisher was using a yamamotto grub expecting to catch some bass. To his surprise, the trout went crazy over it and he caught over a dozen before his grub was torn to shreds. I caught 6 rainbows three of them on my fly rod before I switched to the spinning rod for the bass. I caught a few bass on my fly rod as well.

The bass were going crazy. I caught them on senkos, curly tail grubs, tube jigs, crankbaits, and drop shots.

I don't know how many bass we caught but it was hot from start to finish. Most of the bass were small. Steelfisher caught one that was pretty good sized. Most of mine were in the 10-11" range, but they were fat and healthy.

After having our fill of float tubing we went to Condie with the drift boat. I started getting hits on my craw colored tube bait on the first cast after anchoring. I caught two nice 16"ers right off the bat. I was thinking this was going to be awesome at Condie as well. I was wrong. It ended as quickly as it started. We fished for 2 1/2 more hours without a bite. The wind came up pretty strong and the bite went dead.

It was a great trip. Thanks for Steelfisher.

Windriver
[signature]
Those trout at Weston are crazy. I always catch a bunch this time of year while bass fishing. Weston is definitely a good numbers place, but there are some pretty decent ones in there as well. The last few times I've fished it I've gone late afternoon until dark and it's been insane for topwater.

I had the opposite experience at Condie last week. The first hour I didn't get a bite, and then I figured them out and got 23 in the next couple of hours. Maybe 6 or 7 were 10-12" (including the rogue smallmouth), one was 17", one 18", and one 19". The rest were 14-16" and fat. Not quite sure why, but the larger fish were on the skinnier side. The 19" is definitely an old fish from the look of her. Oddly enough, I caught her right off the boat ramp.

The first pics are all Condie Friday afternoon, the topwater bass pics are from Weston last Thursday
[signature]
Thanks for the pics. I may have to go back down there. I love walking the dog.[Wink]

We tried everything in our box at Condie. I really think it was just one of those weird times when the fish go into a negative mode. I was watching other people and the same thing happened to them.

If they were I biting, I am a good enough fisherman that I would have caught them (Or so I like to tell myself).[laugh]

I also forgot to mention that I have never seen the water that stirred up.

Windriver
[signature]
Both places look like pea soup. It's pretty gross. I hope they winter over okay with how low things are getting. Hopefully the topwater bite will keep going a bit longer, all this cold weather is dropping the water temp fast. The bait in my Condie pics is my go to for stubborn bass, this time of year especially I like it better than drop shotting or split shotting or any other finesse technique. It's pretty productive for me most of the time. The majority of the hits I had Friday just felt kind of mushy, or like a perch tapping the bait, they weren't very aggressive. I think I'm going to hit it again soon if I feel on top of my homework.
[signature]