Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better late than close to never.
I was supposed to go to Illinois for a refinery expansion but I decided that my kids were more important than work and I'm not going anywhere. Plus, I've got hunting to do in the near future.
I went to SW to get a scope for my new Browning BAR 300 Win. Mag, my intentions were to look at the new Redfield scopes (only one at SW [frown], Cal Ranch carries the full line ) and the VX-III series but after comparing scopes I was very impressed with the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5X14 BDC and I purchased it. I ran home and got my gun, grabbed my Leupold scope rings and went back to SW. I had them mount the scope (I asked for lock tight on the screws, that 300 can rattle a bit) on the gun and it was beautiful...it reminded me of my first child being born [Wink].
I was about to pay at the register and I realized.........."hey stupid!, you don't have an elk tag" In a red-faced, yet calm like panic, I purchased my elk tag over the counter and everything was fine. For lack of a pun, 'I dodged that bullet'. Buying my elk tag was something I was going to do several months ago but I got side tracked apparently.
Anywho, when I got home I dialed in on the cable box roughly 180 yards away and dialed in the scope and it is very clear. I like it, headed to the pow pow range this week to empty some brass so my buddy can reload me some custom loads for me to try.
If anybody has some once-fired 300 Win. Mag brass I could use some.
I'm not sure on how many tags are out there for spike elk but I sure was glad I was able to get mine, do 'they' run out of tags typically before the hunt starts?
[signature]
I've got a bunch of 300 brass and some of it is from my fathers gun and I've never taken the time to resize it and use it. How much do you need? I only burn through 20-30 rounds a year (too much kick and expense for plinking), so I've got more than I will ever burn through.
[signature]
I was hoping to find at least 50 or so.
[signature]
I have some once fired brass as well. But I was wondering if you have feed problems when they were fired from a different gun?

When I tried just neck sizing a bunch of brass from the gun range I cound not feed about half of the brass!! Had to pull them all apart and start over.

When I use brass from my gun I only neck size. Any issues for you?
[signature]
If brass from one particular gun is reloaded and fed through that gun; and that gun only, you can get by with just neck sizing, but if you plan on sharing ammo between different guns of the same caliber you have to full length size them.

Every chamber has minute differences and when a casing is fired it expands to fit THAT chamber. Basically a casing becomes customized to that gun.

One exception is if you have a semi automatic or most lever action guns then you need to full length size all the time. The mechanisms are quite as precise and need the "slop" of a full sized case to feed properly
[signature]
I've got a Browning BAR Safari Edition, semi-auto 300 Win Mag. My buddy who reloads for me completely goes through every step to ensure that the loads are perfect, he talks about how he does it but I just nod my head and I agree. I shot some reloads today at Lee Kay that were from a different 300 win mag and had no problems at all. He was happy that the loads worked great and I was happy to finally shoot a gun that I got last winter!
[signature]
I got a box of brass I could give you also...
[signature]