Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any reports from Newcastle?
Hi guys,
I'll be passing through the Cedar City area next week and was wondering if anyone has been by Newcastle lately? Specifically I'm wondering about the water level, temp, and clarity. Also, any wiper activity? The DWR site mentions almost nothing. Thanks, Fred K.
[signature]
the water is low and green fishing has been slow there
[signature]
If you want wipers, go early.......very early. They tend to ball up in the back of the lake in pretty shallow water. Just keep an eye on your graph and you'll find 'em. And please, kill each and every one you catch. Those things have ruined that lake.
[signature]
Why do you say kill them? with the over abundance of golden shiner in that place you would think that they would help you and your smallmouth bass. we have smallie in willard and wipers and they live together just fine. the only thing that they will do is make the fishing better. glad people can't keep them because of the mercury problem[:p]
[signature]
O.K., this is not a sarcastic question. Have you ever been to Newcastle? The lake is not much bigger than a postage stamp. It's sole purpose is to irrigate the surrounding farm land. Every year it's drawn down to almost nothing. Therefore, in the fall all the fish are very concentrated with no place really to hide. There were clouds and clouds of shiners in the lake and that was what made it such a great smallmouth fishery. There was an abundance of food to support the amount of fish in the lake.

Now enter the wiper. In the few short years they've been in the lake, they've managed to eat every single shiner that was in that pond. And I mean every one. Now with the shiners out of the picture, they have now turned their voracious appetite on the young smallmouth and native trout and in doing so, they are well on their way to killing off the entire lake. It's not going to be too long before they start looking like the skinny sickly stripers in Lake Mead.

All the meat fisherman that go there now for the wipers keep the brood stock smallmouth that eat their trolled crankbaits or nightcrawlers and that is just one more nail in the coffin of that poor little lake. What do you think would happen to Jordenell if wipers were introduced there?

So that's why I say kill them off and rethink just what a lake as small as Newcastle can and can not handle.
[signature]
Wipers was the best thing to happen to this lake since the shiners ruined a great trout lake. This lake used be known for it's trophy trout not bass.
[signature]