Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelheads in Lewiston
Hey guys and gals

I just bought a fishing boat and am very interested in learning how to catch steelhead. I have been a couple of times but i dont really know what exactly i am doing. If anyone has any suggestions or tips i would greatly appreciate it. Also if anyone in the lewiston area would be willing to even go out with me and show me a few things that would be great too. thanks in advance.
[signature]
New boat...Awesome!

I will be in Orofino on the 18th-22nd...send me a PM if you are interested in C&R. My group will be floating from the NF of the CW down to Peck, but will also check out the staging area around Potlatch to the confluence.

Metalheads are finicky....all depends on the weather!

Based on the numbers, this fall should be epic!
[signature]
Go to Camp, Cabin, and Home if you haven't done so already. They really do a great job of showing you exactly what to do, and the current "hot" baits, etc. They will set you up with the best slip bobbers, bobber stops, shrimp, and flies for daytime fishing at the confluence, and Brad's lighted lures for nighttime fishing (use the smaller Brad's in green or red, usually). Water's Edge in Clarkston will do the same.The fishing has been terrible so far at the confluence, so be patient. By the way, very nice offer from the previous poster. Lots of generous people on this site!! Mike
[signature]
hey montana man thanks so much for the offer. i am going to try to make it up there it just depends on how much homework i have (college student). I will try and let you know as soon as possible. if anything maybe we could hook up if you check out the staging area.
Thanks again
[signature]
hey thanks for the tips i will have to check out Waters Edge. I hear through the grape vine that the steelies are startin come on. only one way to find out i guess[Wink]
[signature]
Hey baskfisher,

When you say fishing boat what kind of boat are you talking about? Might make a difference in where and when you might want to use it.

Welcome aboard and good luck.
[signature]
It is a 16' modified vhull jon boat with a little 15 horse prop tiller. its not a custom weld or anything but i think she could get the job done.
[signature]
I would be very careful in the Snake River or anywhere above the Potlatch Plant.
[signature]
[quote Mojo1]I would be very careful in the Snake River or anywhere above the Potlatch Plant.[/quote]

Agreed! In my opinon you should limit yourself to the ramps around the confluence. I think you also would be at the Hell's gate boat ramp on the snake and for a couple miles up river.

One thing for sure is you are doing the right thing by trying to hook with someone in the know...it's not only comforting but smart!

Wish I could give you a date but I will be not knowing when I can fish until a couple days before hand.

Good luck!
[signature]
Gene makes a point about the Snake as well. You are probably good to the top of 3 mile, but watch your fish finder and stop if you are getting shallow. Lots of driftable water and a good area to slow troll plugs, from the Confluence to 3 mile.
[signature]