Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another new muzzleloader
Well, I got it today at 11:00 am. It came to work instead of my house. The UPS girl ALWAYS brings me my stuff at work. She has probably saved more than one guy from a Tongue lashing. I managed to get some time at work to work on the rifle. I did a LOT of modification to this rifle. The rifle was in poor shape. The barrel is toast, and it had more rust then I expected. It was also a kit gun instead of a factory gun. It was done very well so I am not bummed at all.
First, I took off the hammer and bent it so it would strike correctly. Next I bent the thumb to give me more room for the sights. Next I took off the tang and drilled and tapped it for the sight. I cleaned the rust off and got it ready to reinstall. I made a spacer for between the sight and tang. This makes the sight go up and down more vertical. The tang set deep inside of the inlet so I also needed it to be able to install the sight.
Next I added a Stainless steel sling swivel. Next I took the trigger apart and cleaned it up along with the lock. Last I added a Green Mountain stainless steel 45 cal, 1-28 twist barrel with a Lyman 17 aml globe sight with Lee Shavers BPCR long range inserts.
With the block under the sight I should be able to get out to 500 or 600 yards with this rifle for target shooting.
I hope I can get it sighted in to at least 200 yards before my antelope hunt. Anyway, I am happy with the rifle and I wanted to show you what it looks like now. I didn't take a before picture. Ron
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][Image: Hawken1.jpg][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][Image: Hawken2.jpg][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][Image: Hawken4.jpg][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][Image: Hawken3.jpg][/font]
[signature]
Hey, now thats a neat looking rifle Ron, I especialy like the ornate trigger guard. I bet you can smoke a speed goat with that unit.
Goodluck, Scott
[signature]