Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Floatilla
[cool][#0000ff]Fellow tuber Hnaf wanted to take his bro-in-law Jason to Willard and invited TubeBabe and I to accompany them...but only if we provided the minnows. Seems fair.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was Jason's first trip in his new RED float tube, his first time on Willard and he had never caught either a catfish or a wiper. Took care of a lot of firsts today. Why is it that the newbies always catch the most or biggest...or both?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We were all on the water at the north marina by about 7:15. Brian and Jason stayed in the marina to allow the newbie to get used to his new ride without trauma. Good move. TubeBabe and I kicked outside and started hunting for whatever might wanna play with our offerings. Not much for a while.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe moved out into deeper water and off toward the north dike. I dipped down into the Eagle Beach area, hoping to find something in shallower water. Dragged a minnow on one rod and threw plastics and small crankbaits on the second rod. Nothing on either.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just before the sun peeked over the mountain there were some feeble splashes right on the sandy shoreline. I figured carp. I figured wrong. I finally got a better look and saw the light colors and the tail slaps of wipers mopping up on some shadlets. I fired up my trolling motor and moved in as close as I could...as fast as I could. Had a couple of the wipers boil right next to my tube. They looked small...underfooters. But I still fired plastics and small cranks feverishly up and down the shoreline where they were still popping up once in a while. Nada, zip, zilch. Then the sun hit the water and they went bye bye.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Moved back out into deeper water...dragging a minnow on one rod and a piece of perch meat on the other. As I passed the 12 foot mark in depth my minnow rod bounced and line zinged off the open spinning reel. Hookset, fight fight, splash splash and I had my first cookie cutter kitty of the morning. And, while I was putting it in the basket my other rod went bounce zing and I was into another kitty. A few minutes later, another double with one going back in the water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That was it for a while. I moved out into deeper water, seeing lots of fish on sonar but feeling nothing on my line. Poor TubeBabe. She had covered a lot of water but still had not had a bite and it was a bit after 10 in the morning. Sooooo, nice guy that I am I talked her into following me back to the ZONE. I was about 50 yards ahead of her and told her on the walkie talkie that I would try to find the fish and then let her stay there and work them over while I found another spot. POW, POW. ZING ZING. Another double. Had 5 in my basket. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I left TubeBabe on "the spot" she netted one cat and lost another. Before she came into the marina to join us later she had put 4 nice cookies in her basket and had several good fish stories.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After leaving her to the spot, I motored into the marina where "the boys" had been doing fairly well on some kitties too. Brian had a limit in his basket and Jason had 3 nice ones too...including a dandy 23 incher. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I got out my lines to try to finish off my limit of kitties Jason went bendo on his first of 3 big wipers. It turned out to be a feisty 22 incher that weighed 4.2 pounds and definitely turned him into a wiperholic. But, wouldn't you know it, a few minutes later he scored another wiper...a puny 21 incher that only weighed 4.1 pounds. He had one other wiper on but decided to play conservationist and gave it a creative release. NEWBIES!!![/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I caught several more kitties inside the marina and kept another 3 to finish my limit. Never had one bite that seemed like a wiper. But was happy for Jason. But maybe next time he will know his place and not show off so much.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Air temps went from 52 to 75 today and water temps from 63 to 65...from 7 to 1. Probably warmed up at least another couple of degrees on that warm calm day. And, contrary to other reports, the water was a fairly clean green. Plenty of visibility for sight feeding wipers. Saw a few birds flying around but no signs of aggressive feeding. Maybe later.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks like another great day! and those wipers, ya let me at them. Just can't even imagine them on a light rod or even a medium. Some day I will get down there and fish for those "willy wascales" Thanks for the report and the pics.
[signature]
I think the newbies do so well to get them hooked, and make them want to come back again and again! After that, the newbie luck probably runs out, so the newbie has to learn how to actually target and catch the fish.

Those wippers are by far the most fun fish to bring in then any other fish I have caught.

Without those minnows, the fishing wouldn't have been as good.

Jason
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. Glad you had a good time. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You're only a newbie once. Now you are an experienced pro. Great expectations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad the minnows worked well for you. Just remember, if you gotta buy your own minnows next time be sure to look for the left-handed blue-eyed ones. And those minnows were free...just to get you hooked. $10 a bag from now on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope you have some waders without the "ventilation" for your next trip. Soggy is okay when the water is still tolerable. But when the late fall water temps drop below 40 degrees you won't last long. Numb and hypothermia do not rhyme but they definitely go together when you have leaky waders in cold water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]