Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deep Cr, Weston, Glendale, Oneida and creeks
I am sure that the pictures won't copy to here so I will just give you the link to my original post on the Idaho board. I wore out or lost a couple of dozen flies in two days but it was worth it. The carp was caught on a crayfish colored fly that I was bumping over some rocks. I was hoping for a sm bass, but the carp was a riot anyway

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=613799;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...d;page=unread#unread[/url]

Smoke from a neighboring valley pushed me out of the house, so I went off to explore a little. I made a loop with a few side excursions for a couple of days. Had to dodge a few thunderstorms and wind on Tuesday afternoon, but I did get to fish a while at Weston and Deep Creek.

The trout were hungry at both reservoirs, and I think there must have been a new planting as some were fairly small. Oddly enough I didn't catch as many of the little bass or perch that are in Weston. I think it may have been the storms coming in as the wind forced me off of there. Then the weather got really nasty for the evening!

Deep Creek was low, but Weston is very low.
[inline "1 Weston Creek.jpg"]

This trout was nice enough to spit out four of these nice reddish brown chronimids for me to see. He was munching a very selective diet. [inline Trout&chon.jpg]

I also got a chance to explore a few smaller rivers and creeks off of the Bear River. I caught some nice little wild Bonneville Cutthroats. Frankly I am not sure what the differences are between the different cutthroats, but at least now I know I have caught Bonneville, Yellowstone, Snake River, Coastal cutts and Searun cutts. Side by side I might be able to pick out the differences, but for the most part I am pretty clueless! I have to go by what is exclusive to the area.

Here is one little Bonneville Cutthroat:
[inline "2 Bonneville Cutthroat.jpg"]

Glendale was nice. I was there for the morning and there were only two other boats on the water. The water is very low, and if you want to see where the channels are in the upper part of the reservoir, now is the time. I looked for a place to launch in the upper part, but the water was quite a ways away from most of the usual places.

I launched at the boat ramp and stayed mostly up closer to the dam end. I think I should have gotten more ambitious and headed further up until I found the gills and crappie. I didn't catch any of them. I caught some nice trout and bass though. The bass ranged from about 13 inches up to about 16 inches.
[inline "3 Nice bass.jpg"]

The trout were from 10 inches to about 15. Most were 14ish.
This trout had some kind of parasites or baby leeches? on its fins. Anyone seen these before? Ishy ick!

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=65274]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=65275]

Driving up through the Oneida Narrows was outstanding! The trees were in their fall colors and the river was nice and clear. I only saw one fisherman in the river and I didn't see anyone else fishing there or in Oneida Reservoir.

Pictures don't do the colors and scenery justice!
[inline "back road.jpg"]

The Bear is lower and clear, but quite mossy.
[inline "Bear Creek.jpg"]

The only fisherman I saw was this guy, who you can barely see, on the opposite side of the river and up on the corner.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=65279]

Oneida was low but it sure was colorful and nice.
[inline "Oneida low&colorful.jpg"]

Oneida gave my two other "firsts"-- my first walleye on a fly and my first mirror carp on a fly. I caught several walleye, and they were all about the same size about 12 to 13 inches. The carp were so plentiful they were distracting. I would be focused on casting and WHAM--SPLASH a carp would jump right beside me. A few of them startled the heck out of me. The fish finder was a waste of time as it showed fish all over the place. Unfortunately it couldn't tell me the difference between a carp and a walleye or bass.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=65281]

My big fish of the trip:

This carp was a hoot to catch on a 5 wt fly rod and 4lb test line! She was really powerful and drug me all over the place. I don't know what she weighed, but she was over 26 inches long, and she did not fit in my net. I thought the pattern of scales on her was really kind of cool.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=65282]

It sure is a beautiful fall!

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 2]Hi cpierce -Hope that you don't mind that I took the liberty of posting a few of your pictures. Very nive post indeed. Dryrod[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
THAT'S MY GIRL! Nice carp. Mirror, right? Keep up the great work and the cool photos!
[signature]
awesome post and pics... I am so jealous of ya'll [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Yep, it was a mirror carp. That is the first mirror I have caught fly fishing, and it was an amazing fight!

Looks like you are having a great time up at Henrys. Looking forward to some more photos!
[signature]
Love the photos .

peter
[signature]
I heard that C-field is now just a pond that you can cast from one side to the another. Did you happen to check it out on your excursions?
[signature]
i was there, along with the 30+ boat trailers in the parking lot. its in full bloom, and low, but not way low. fishing was slow but once i found fish i was able to get a few, nothing big though.
[signature]
Strawberry this week maybe?
[signature]
im free sunday if you guys are. i can hopefully convince Fishin_Gal to use her new tube.
[signature]
Sunday should be good with us also...I will let you know where or we can go where you want.
[signature]
shes in, just say where and well be there at sun rise
[signature]
I am sorry that I didn't get up that way. I haven't been there lately but I am planing on it before too long. It can't be that low. It may be weedy and gone down some but as you can see from this satellite picture, that was from yesterday, it still has plenty of water that is reflected in black. Many of the other reservoirs are too small to see at this height, but it stands out because it is more the size of Milner in area. Not that it is that deep or has that much water!!
[signature]
Sorry, I cropped the picture so you can't even see Milner to compare.
[signature]
No problem, thanks for trying. I never thought of satellite to check water levels. What program are you using?
[signature]
(This is probably a lot more than most want to know! The sat pictures are of Idaho and Utah, but are also available for the other areas of the country on this same site.)

Well I haven't used it for reservoirs much either, so I hope that it isn't just 6 inches deep! The smaller reservoirs are really hard to see. I can tell that Twin Lakes is split now, and some others are shorter. If you need lakes labeled I can do that. I have gotten used to seeing them in sat pics so I can pick them out fairly quickly.

Most of the time I use this site:

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/imagery.php
It is very easy to use and you can click back on the calendar to get a day that your area was in the clear. I frequently use the false color images. They are a combination of infrared and other parts of the spectrum that show somethings more distinctly. Vegetation is usually bright green, water reflects as black and some blue. Lavaflows as black, salts in the desert are blue, freshly burned areas are a rusty brown or red with some being black.

I use it mostly for fires and their smoke direction. As in this picture of the Twitchell Fire.
[inline TwitchelFire2.jpg]

In the early summer I use it to get an idea of when most of the snow is off of high mt areas that we hike and fish in. The snowpack usually shows as light blue like this detail from this June. June was really cloudy so this isn't a great image, but shows the tops are still covered in snow.[inline iceandsnow2.jpg]

The going back in time feature is good for looking at the reservoirs. The small ones don't always show up and I am not sure the scale is always the same, but you can see definite differences when you compare early in the summer to now. This was of southeast Idaho on July 2. The second picture is from yesterday. Notice the difference in Twin Lakes being split and Chesterfield's width.

[inline July2detail.jpg]

Besides the lakes you can even see the new fire scars in the upper left hand area.
Here is Sept 21
[inline Sep21detail.jpg]

A second site I have started poking around in a little bit is this next one. It isn't as easy to use. But it is close to being the newest images. I would love to find some that have a better level of resolution, but so far I haven't stumbled across them.

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/
I choose "Near real time subsets," then choose FAS (northwest us block), then 250m pixel size
[signature]
Fantastic. I think I'll try my hand at that and try to identify certain lakes and reservoir's too.
Thanks once more. You are a genius.
[signature]
Thanks! That is very kind of you to say, but ....[blush][blush][blush][blush][blush][blush][blush][blush][blush][blush][blush][blush][blush][blush][blush]
[signature]
I assume chesterfield is in the upper left of those two pics and I do see a width difference.. but I dont see a split.. can you clue me in on that please..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
The reservoirs I was comparing are quite small compared to the large lakes I think you are looking at. Here are the same two pictures with a couple of labels placed right under the lakes. Daniels is small to start with and now it has about 1/3 less area so it is reflecting less and is hard to see. I put Daniels in here to illustrate that not seeing much doesn't mean there is no water. Chesterfield is narrower, and the north end of it is probably pretty shallow now(not because I can see it on these, but by knowing the lake's depths). Twin Lakes in the spring is one lake with an island, now it is two separate lakes. Twin Lakes is down close to the end on its boat ramps, but is still a fairly good sized lake. I will include a picture of it that I took on Tue. I don't know it this clarifies things or not!

Really for me, I use it more in the early summer to know if the main snow pack is off some mountain areas.

Here is the summer picture - July 2

[inline July2detail.jpg]

Here is the fall picture Sept 21
[inline Sep21detail.jpg]

This is down the boat ramp on Twin Lakes' north lake.

[inline GCWT7.jpg]
[signature]
Yes it does help clarify thing.. especially with the labeling.. and yes I can see the differences you mentioned once you showed me which dots to look at.. :-)...

is there a way to adjust the view on these maps.. I clicked on socal last nite hoping to get into the san diego area and all I could get was all of socal.. too much area to pinpoint any details Id recognize..

what got you on to using these fire maps in the first place.. you sure seem to know what you are looking at and talking about it.. ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]