Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friday Trifecta
[cool][#0000ff]What a week. TubeBabe has a full dance card for the next two months so we tried to get her out fishing as often as possible this week. Had a good Monday at Starvation, a decent Wednesday at Willard and finished the trifecta today at Lincoln Beach on Utah Lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Launched off the end of the south dike just after 7 AM. Light southerly breeze (as forecast), 52 degrees air temp and 62 degree water temp. Water was a bit murky but developed some green to it later in the morning. Water level is about 3 feet below high mark. Lower than last year at this time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Looks like the fall pattern is in session. The kitties were on the chew and there were some good sized ones to play with. We found them in 4 to 5 feet of water straight out from the inlet to Benjamin Slough. Started getting tentative pop and drops until the sun hit the water. Then they got more serious. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe landed the first 3 catfish...and then I started using a hook and bait...after spotting her the lead. Her first kitty was a 2 footer. Her second was about 30 inches and 10 pounds. Sorry everybody within 10 miles...I know your ears are hurting after the whoopin' and hollerin'. She cain't hep it. She's the kitty queen.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Over the next couple of hours TubeBabe brought in several other kitties...including a six pounder and an 8 pounder. Bent her stick and stretched her string, they did. She was overdue. She released all but 4 of the smaller fish for the smoker.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got to rassle with a 27 inch daddy cat...which was also released. I also caught about 10 other nice kitties...keeping eight for the smoker. We also both caught a few silly whities...some on large baits (minnows and carp meat) being dragged for cats. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not much action on lures today...plastic or hardbaits. But, at one point I picked up a tandem tube jig rig...including the deadly R/C Killer and got a whitie on the first cast and a cookie cutter kitty on the next cast to the same spot. Then nothing else the rest of the morning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With the water temps still over 60 degrees, the cats hit hard, ran fast and fought hard. Some of the middle sized ones fooled us into thinking we had bigguns. What a problem to have. Yeeee Hawww![/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Only two or three boats hit the lake before we left just after noon. Water had warmed to 64 and there was never more than a ripple all morning. But the breeze did keep changing directions about every 10 minutes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Figured we would fillet the fish down there and avoid the mess at home. Figured wrong. The fish cleaning station is closed already. Bummer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hooray for TubeBabe. I may have caught a few more kitties than she did today but she was definitely top rod in the size department. The big cats have always played nice for her and she really appreciates it. Maybe that will keep her going for the next few weeks as she travels all over the place. Tough duty having to take that Caribbean Cruise with the daughter and granddaugter. And it is a long cast down to the water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wow sounds like a great day on the water indeed. Fall fishin is on!!!![cool]
[signature]
Wow,
The girl can fish with the best of them. Happy for her. Is that her just reward for putting up with a certain fisher guy we all know? HeHeHe. Congrats Tubebabe.
pa
[signature]
Thanks Pa! It was a super day to be on the water. It was the first time in a while that I have been to Lincoln Beach and I loved every minute of it. Those big kitties are sure fun.[blush]
[signature]
"Is that her just reward for putting up with a certain fisher guy we all know?"

[cool][#0000ff]Hey, we both know that life ain't fair sometimes...most of the time. And TubeBabe is a saintess for putting up with my "stuff". I try to offset it a little by keeping her gear in good shape and usually letting her get a head start, etc. But, when it comes to catching the most or biggest that is ALL HER. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]She is a pretty fair anglerette and I would put her up against most of the guys I know...especially when it comes to Lincoln Beach kitties. Fellow tanglers always laugh when we have a group thing and TubeBabe is first ready and first launched. You don't dare get between her and the water or you gonna get hurt. And it usually ain't long before she is gloating over the walkie talkie that she is putting ANOTHER kitty in the basket. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All's fair in love and war...but not fishin'. TubeBabe don't fish fair. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Glad to see that you got out before your big travel plans started.[cool] Stay safe and have fun!!!
[signature]
Fantastic day of Catfishing! Man I wish I had the time to go[:/]
Ron
[signature]
Those are some great fish, and what a blast of a fishing trip!

Wish we had some fish like that somewhere here in SE Idaho. But since we don't, I will have to make the trip down that way one of these days.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Be sure to let us know when you are heading this way...so we can warn the fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
As sloppy as I cast, they will know already for miles around!!!
[signature]
[quote cpierce]As sloppy as I cast, they will know already for miles around!!![/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Sloppy cast? Just in case ya hadn't figgered it out for your own self, this is not making delicate presentations with dry flies on long leaders at 75 feet. Can you lob a bait and drag it behind your tube? If so, you got it made.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Still...maybe stealth mode might be best. Our Utah fishies sometimes get paranoid when we bring in Idaho talent.[/#0000ff]
[signature]