Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Falls Ice Fishing ?
I know ice fishing is a ways out still, but I am looking for some input.

I am the organizer of the Devil Creek Ice FIshing Derby. I have been considering doing a second tournament, one that would be a high $$$ event with a first place prize in the the $10,000-$15,000 dollar range.

If I put this together I was thinking about American Falls as the location. I haven't spent a lot of time ice fishing at A.F. so my first question is; Does A.F. always freeze and have safe ice every year? If so, when would the safe ice window be?

Thanks for your input.
[signature]
It does usually freeze every year but safe ice all depends on the weather. The main part of the reservoir is a bit tricky and with fluctuating water levels and high winds, it can be very iffy with safe ice. Sportsman's park by Aberdeen tho is usually a safe bet . Last year the ice was around 22" at the thickest. Pretty sure Seagull Bay and a few other places are also safe.

You might think about Ririe Reservoir. It takes a little longer to freeze, but once it freezes, it is usually good to go.
[signature]
Having a tournament at Ririe is a terrible idea. Unless of course it is for charity. [Wink] I have fished the devils creek tournament and I did have a good time. I guess I just fundamentally don't believe that a public water should be used for private gain. Just my opinion.

Windriver
[signature]
I would have to agree.
[signature]
While I think it would be fun to have a fun fishing tournament a little closer like at Ririe I don't think that Ririe could handle it given it's small area that's open to ice fishing. American Falls could have the potential, but as mentioned w/ the ice being spotty in areas I think it would be potentially be a big risk.
[signature]