Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where do I get sturgeon up river from Strike dam
Been doing pretty decent catching sturgeon down river from Strike dam lately but keep hearing it can be killer up on the reservoir. I know you have to stick to the Snake arm but is there any place in particular where they tend to hang out (mainly the big ones)[Wink] Any direction would be appreciated. Or if you know a good spot and want to go some time we might could work that out too.
thanks everyone
[signature]
First off I would recommend making sure I can go and fix your fishfinder.
[signature]
Take me. I'll show you right where you need to go...

That's code for, I have no idea where to go, but would like to tag along. Only thing I know about the snake arm at strike are the rocks about a half mile before the really narrow section. They mark them with buoys, but you know how that goes.

Anyways, I know we talked about that one area by cove arm lake, should give it a try.
[signature]
Had a foster dad when i was growing up that used to take me to his favorite hole up there. It was a mile or two up the snake arm. On the right bank there was a fence post we would tie off to(just a post, no fence). We would then cast out into a hole that if i remember right was around 90 ft deep or so. Remember going home skunked only once out of of the couple dozen times we went there.
Don't have access to a boat so haven't been there in 10 years or so. I'm sure any of the deep holes have some dinosaurs hanging out though.
[signature]
Go up the Snake River arm up to about the Cove arm area and find you a hole or trough out in the middle about 70 feet deep or so.

Drop your baited rig striaght down into the hole untill you get it snugly on the bottom. Then slowly troller back toward the shore paying out your line as you go. anchor up & wait.

I caught 7 in one day up there![Smile]
[signature]
cool thanks everyone (except you first two moochers)
I've heard a few times to go the the cove arm/crane falls area so that sounds like where i'll be going. I'm taking my step brother and dad out tonight but we're not sure whether to try something new or stick to the river since i've caught about 30 down there in the last couple weeks but i'll let everyone know how it goes either way.
thanks again
[signature]
decided to stick with the river since my depth finder is still broke. The moss was bad and the fishing was pretty slow but we still caught 3 so counts as a success.
[signature]
Is a jet boat needed below the dam?
We have a 16 foot aluminum vee fishing with a 50 HP outboard. can this boat be used below the dam?
We have never been there.
[signature]
get the strike reservoir map it will give you a few ideas of where to go. crane falls and up stream through that narrow area has produced well for me in the past though
[signature]
a jet boat would be preferred (even though the moss has been so bad you have to be real careful w/ a jet too) but you can do it w/ a prop. If you put in right at the bridge below the dam you can run down river a ways and be ok w/ a prob. if the water is too low and you are putting in at Grand View I'd think twice about running it w/ a prop. You probly could but be super careful theres quite a few spots that are real shallow. We used to fish out of a little 14' w/ an 18hp prop and I did slam the prop a few times down there.
[signature]
SKK,
When people are talking about fishing for sturgeon below CJ Strike dam, they usually (most always) are talking about fishing from shore in the vicinity of the Idaho Power park below the dam. Mike
[signature]
[quote fishin4days].... if the water is too low and you are putting in at Grand View I'd think twice about running it w/ a prop. You probly could but be super careful theres quite a few spots that are real shallow. We used to fish out of a little 14' w/ an 18hp prop and I did slam the prop a few times down there.[/quote]

I would NEVER put a prop boat in at Grandview and run up to the bridge. If the water is really low I would advise not even using a jet. I hit the rocks in my jet boat there about 6 weeks ago and put a couple healthy dents in the bottom of my boat. The worst spot is just after where the river turns right after the first long straight stretch. Best way to avoid damage is to keep an eye out for a couple-3 fence posts leading down into the river on the inside corner. If you don't see any posts, you're definitely good to go; if you see the tops of 2 posts, you should be ok, but if you see 3 posts, lookout! There's a rock in the middle of the river about 1/4 mile up from there. If you see that rock, turn around. What you won't see is the tops of a bunch of other rocks just barely under the surface.
And one more thing, during the summer, wait until after they start letting more water out of the dam (usually about 7:30-8am) before you attempt to motor up through there.
[signature]
Excellent description of where to watch out for the rocks. I know exactly where that is and there are a few rocks right in the middle of the river right there. these can be avoided by running along either side of the middle right there. If you come up the left side though you have to kind of split two shallow spots but its not too hard to tell where to run. Its best to slow down a little and really watch what you're doing once you come around that big corner but I run that in my jet boat quite a bit whether the water is low or not. And the good new is, once you get past that rock you are sitting on a pretty good fishing hole. We did see some folks last week run a little fishing boat w/ a prop all the way from grand view to the bridge though.
[signature]
I was running up on the right hand side of the river from that one rock that pokes up in low water and that's when I hit.

I was up there last Sunday and the water was higher than I've ever seen it, didn't see the tops of any fence posts at all.

And yeah that's a good spot for gators right above there where the river get's kinda narrow.

fishin4days you don't have a Duckworth sled with a 200hp Merc do ya?
[signature]
I did not know there was submerged rocks over on that right side (hope your boat is ok) i usually split the two shallow parts on the left of that rock in the middle where you can see it funnels the water through there and have never hit anything. I wish I had that duck w/ the huge merc. I've seen it down there before but I'm the guy with the beat up Grumman w/ a 70hp Johnson. Usually down there on Tuesday or Friday nights and on Saturday once in a while.
[signature]
My boat suffered some damage on that one, dents that left bumps on the floor big enough to trip on.
Here's what we drive, 18' SmokerCraft welded sled w/ 150hp Opti; if you ever see us holler!

[Image: rortiller.jpg?t=1285694331]
[signature]