Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
great lakes fall run
Here in southern Wisconsin we are seeing the begining of the salmon run. We've had almost no rain here and the rivers are so low. Still there are some fish in the river. How bout the rest of you?

Blake

[Image: early+fall+steelhead+on+the+root+river.jpg]
[signature]
Nice fish. I am glad you posted. I have always kind of wondered about the salmon and steelhead runs of the lakes. (stupid curiosity!)

Do they hit the same kind of flies that we would use on the west coast? I know that their diet must be different, so do they still like or strike at flashy colored flies? Maybe diet has nothing to do with it, and it is more of a "don't bother me, I am thinking about that chick up ahead" or chip on the shoulder reaction strike.

[blush] Or just what flies do you use? Thanks.
[signature]
Steelhead in great lakes tribs will strike flies, streamers and egg paterns like a true hunter. The salmon will hit all the same flies usually early in the fall run. After that your lucky to have a salmon turn on a flashy streamer usually out of anger. My favorites are egg sucking leaches,alaska-boo's, yarn eggs, ect.

Blake
[Image: alaska+boo.jpg]
[signature]
Cool fly!

It looks like they hit about the same things as the coast fish. Purple and pink were always good producers for our steelhead and salmon too.

Thanks!
[signature]
I'm sure alot of the same flies we use are producers out west as well. Purple and pink are hot colors here as well as black and pink. Green has its days also.
[Wink]

Blake
[signature]
Very cool. We don't have the Salmonage here in Utah, but Idaho isn't that far,
And I have my licenses...LOL
[signature]
Some days I feel like I'd trade salmon for some of the trout fishing you guys have in Utah and Idaho. Most days not though...
[Wink]
Blake
[signature]
I am sure if we had Salmon, we would be keeping and eating more fish[cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Prefer salmon over trout and day. [/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]To eat that is![/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[quote Dryrod]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][.img][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]Prefer"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...appy.gif[/img]Prefer[/url] salmon over trout and day. [/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]To eat that is![/#008000][/font][/quote]
[center]
[center]
[center]Yeah, no kidding [Smile]
[center]
[center]Peter
[signature]
I like salmon in moderation.. but then a good salmon spread is really good on crackers .. lol

MacFly [cool]
[signature]