Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Berry Experience
[font "Calibri"]Full moon, nasty weather front moving out, guaranteed stuff from the guy at Sportsman’s Warehouse, taking a day off of work, brother-in-law isn’t going so we can leave on time [angelic], SHOULD be the perfect day of fishing right?![/font]
[font "Calibri"]Oh yeah, forgot, this is “the berry” [:/][/font]
[font "Calibri"]SwedishFish and I got up to the berry a little before 7am, I really like the fall and the late sun rise! We were on the water by 7am. There were only two other boats/trailer is the whole parking lot! I have never seen it that deserted. Now I know why…[/font]
[font "Calibri"]We had heard great reports in the past about Renegade area and neither of us had really fished it so our plan was to head down and fish that area. We had just cleared the wake-less buoys when we were greeted by fish jumping all around us and the fish-finder cover with arcs so we stopped (it was amazing the activity) and SwedishFish, who was more prepared than I started throwing some plastics out at them (a new ‘guaranteed’ white minnow). I sat in the boat trying to get some poles together. While I was thus engaged, SwedishFish did a quiet, subdued whoop and pulled in a 24”, very healthy Cut. (you can see how close we were to the ramp from the pic). He threw a few more times and by now I was ready and threw a minnow imitating Mepps. The fish activity was slowing and moving a little so we thought and did what any ‘good’ fisherman would do; If the fish are good here, they will be this good everywhere and we have a plan. So instead of staying where the fish were, we headed off, as we had planned, to Renegade. [:p][/font]
[font "Calibri"]No fish at Renegade. We fished a little and drove around a little to see if we could mark some. None. [/font]
[font "Calibri"]So after a couple of hours we headed back North to the areas we new, Of course we now recognized the error of our ways and went back to the marina; no fish. Went over around the island by the ladders; no fish. Went up Mud Creek; no fish. We went along Chicken Creek: no fish. We went into Jake’s Bay. Anchored and thought we would fish though we didn’t mark very many. Did I mention that the wind was howling by now? Even with the anchor we drifted across the bay. So pulled up the anchor, spent 5 minutes getting all the ‘salad’ off the anchor and chain then went back over to the island to at least get out of the wind.[/font]
[font "Calibri"]At the island we got out of the wind and proceeded to jig. Swedishfish caught another cut. And I decided to play LowRider on the stereo, the strawberry fish love LowRider. Sure enough, I got my first bite while it was playing, but couldn’t manage the hook up.[/font]
[font "Calibri"]We then moved around the corner a little bit and I finally caught a couple of ‘bows, BassRods should be proud as one came on his drop-shot rig that he taught me. And Swedishfish caught a Cut that was Confused and fought like a ‘bow.[/font]
[font "Calibri"]Had to head out at 2:30pm with the wind still blowing hard. Final count: Deloris 2 Rainbow, Swedishfish 4 Cutts. Could have been worse, could have been working! [cool][/font]
[signature]
Good report and nice photo's.

An old captain told me "once"... Don't leave biting fish to find a better bite.
[signature]
Nice report n pics[cool]
[signature]
Was up at the berry yesterday also...

Trolled in the morning,no luck

Went into some bays and jigged in about 15'-20'.Finally started hooking in to the cutt's!

Ran into boat problems(hole in fuel line)Was able to make it back to the marine and called it a day.
[signature]
We were up around the damn last night late from the shore. We fished hard and landed around 17-19 cutt's and bow's. Once they started hitting it was red hot, had a 4 for 4 cast series. Must have missed a dozen or so others. I think they are hitting, just got to get them at the right time of day or night. Was super fun! I actually used a drop shot rig as well which the bow's loved!
Nice post!
[signature]