Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big and Little Cottonwood Creeks
I've never fished the Big and Little Cottonwood creeks, but I've wondered if they are worth fishing. As I've driven up the roads going up to Brighton and Alta through the years, I've noticed several areas that look like they might be a decent place to throw in a fly.

Has anyone had any experience with these creeks and ideas where it might be worth spending some time? Are there any fish?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and ideas.

Scott
[signature]
I fished up by Snowbird last year. Lotsa fun. I use to fish all the time. 2" to 15". Worth it for sure, plus the leaves right now should be an awesome back drop.
[signature]
I have more experience with Big Cottonwood. Basically fish are present from the mouth of the canyon up. Fish up to 12 inches are common with an occasional one 15-18 inches. They are however quite skinny and don't fight much. The water treatment plant is a barrier and right below it can be good fishing in the fall. Below and above the first bridge to cross over it are also good spots as is by storm mountain a little higher. You can fish it higher up in many places as well but since I've only fished it fall through spring when I have limited time I tend to hit the lower spots mostly to stay out of the snow as much as possible. Fish are generally very easy to catch with almost any dry or nymph you throw their way. Besides Little Cottonwood you can also try Millcreek if you have limited time to get out and fish. Fish might run just a tad smaller in general in those 2 compared to Big Cottonwood. Fish are generally just as easy to catch. If you have just a bit more time or find yourself at Cabelas, American Fork is fairly similar down low but above Tibble Fork is a nicer place to fish. Certainly more fish a little larger there but still skinny and not too much fight in them either.
[signature]
Short answer is yes for both.

Try using attractor patterns on top. Humpy's, Coachman, and Hoppers should all work still. If you put a dropper underneath, I would not make the dropper any longer then 12" because the creeks are pretty shallow, even in the deeper holes. And think surprisingly small for the nymph at the end of the dropper, an 18-22 hares ear or pheasant tail are my best successes.

Good luck.
[signature]
Thanks for the information!!!
[signature]
ditto to all that's been said. If I could just add my two cents I would suggest fishing big cottonwood creek farther up. About 1 or 2 miles before you get to silver lake you will see a nice flat stretch of creek that is right by spruces campground. There is a nice place to pull off and start fishing. It is right before spruces campground and is the best spot in the whole creek. I pretty much learned to fly fishe that creek[Wink]
[signature]