Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 20+ fish
I got to Willard at 1:45 ( pbh I looked at my watch) the lake would have been like glass but for the power groupies...

The water at the docks was 74 but as soon as I was in the main lake it dropped to 71..I talked to some fisherman coming off the lake that said the fishing was very bad, they had not even got a bite all day...

So I didn't go after the Wipers I went after the bass, I had a great day my first bass was a nice 14" and full of fight..

I fished all over the lake and by the time I was loading my boat I had boated 13 bass one was a large mouth at just under 18 1/2" and went 4.6 lb on my scales and the best was my biggest smallmouth from Willard yet at 20 1/8" and went 5.4 and a 19 7/8" that went 5.1 and two eyes about 16" each and 6 wipers the biggest went 14" to 15" I was off the water by 7:30...
[signature]
how'd your fishing partner do? I'll bet she'd claim she actually caught them all again eh?

Mine two buds stay at home. They're too hyper and my boats too small to risk a hooking. Maybe if I build that casting platform on front. Added a floor under foot. Helps to have flat footing! But the DO like to help me while I'm cleaning. Always with the tail licking!

You DO know how to target them bass! What did you tempt them in with? After a good outing at Hyrum with the new sideplaners, I'm itching to try them at Willard. See if I can't score my first Walleye!
Also been wanting to try some wacky rigging.

Did you go from the north or south marina?

Standard Willard question: Did ya see any boils?
You live in Cache don't you? If you really want to scratch walleye off your list you should head up to Oneida in Idaho. They aren't usually huge, but I always catch eyes when I fish it. I even caught one fishing a shakey head for smallmouth the last time I was there.

Glad to hear that the black bass are doing well at Willard. I just might be tempted to make the drive down and give it a try some time.
[signature]
Those are really nice fish!! You usually take pictures. Are you going to post pictures?
[signature]
your attention to detail is impeccable. Your posts continue to impress me. Measuring fish down to the eighth of an inch is the true sign of an angler that simply does not screw around!

I do have a suggestion for you, concerning your measurements. Our "American" standard of measurement might not be the best standard for you. If you are measuring down to the eighth of an inch, I think I would recommend to you to start using the metric system. Metrics give greater accuracy when trying to get exact measurements.
It also makes those fish sound even bigger (6 mm sounds like a bigger difference than 1/4"!).

20 1/8" = 511 mm
19 7/8" = 505 mm

Same thing with your weights. If you really want accuracy, convert to grams (or kilograms). Your 4.6lb and 5.4bl fish would be:

2088 g
2450 g

Anyway -- thanks for the post. It was enjoyable.
[signature]
Nice report Clif.

Would you mind sharing the techniques and lures you used?

Its all I can do to scratch just one up.
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot]Nice report Clif.

Its all I can do to scratch just one up.[/quote]

I'd like to know too. I went Saturday and didn't catch jack $h**!
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot]
[/quote]

[quote CBR]
I'd like to know too. I went Saturday and didn't catch jack $h**![/quote]

[quote bassrods]Have you ever heard of a log BOOK???

[/quote]

It's all about the log book fellas. Start keeping one, and your fishing success will improve. Most importantly: publish your log book to the internet on a daily basis.
[signature]
I beg to differ. If he used metrics, it might be more easily accurate (hey little 12 toes) - but would confuse the vast majority of American students who spend years learning the metric system, only to never use it, even though it's inherently simpler, due to our 10-base numbering system.

But I guarantee you, take a "street survey" and ask how many meters are in a footlong sub, and you'll get blank stares. It's like asking the average joe on the street - who was the first president, and they won't know. Ask them who Beyonce is dating, and they are ON IT!

Sorry - not fishing related.
Bassrods - would love to see any pix if you got some. Even if it's just a shot of your Log Book page! Hey - maybe someone should start a "face book for fishermen" social networking site. Oh wait - that's kinda what this is!
[quote CoyoteSpinner]I beg to differ...

... I guarantee you, take a "street survey" and ask how many meters are in a footlong sub, and you'll get blank stares. It's like asking the average joe on the street - who was the first president, and they won't know. Ask them who Beyonce is dating, and they are ON IT! [/quote]

So, you're telling me that these same kids can comprehend measurements down to an eighth of an inch? Ask one of those same kids to pass you a 7/16" wrench, and let's see if those blank stares go away.

I still think bassrods should use metric. Much more granular measurement. Cliff is a very detailed oriented angler (just read his posts!). His measurements are based on precision, and thus warrants the use of the metric system.

just my .02
[signature]
I am not sure what your relationship to Cliff is, a buddy, an enemy, or just a general annoyance to you. BUT, I think your posts in reply to him are some of the funniest things I read on this forum!!

I have got to agree with the 1/8" measurements, how the hell does he get a live fish to cooperate? Or is he secretly killing the fish to get an accurate log book, and therefore is really the party responsible for a decline in his favorite bass fishing holes?

The mystery will likely never be solved! [:/] [shocked] [Wink]
[signature]
Hooks just don't stick to logbooks very well. And, when the paper gets wet................. well you know.

[signature]
For air temps I use my trucks inside temp reading and for water I use my depth finder to go by..

And I launched at the north marina but I fished all the way to the south and back...
[signature]
I would but the wife used the camera and the battery was dead..

I will try to do better with the pictures next time...

Sorry...
[signature]
Is that all you have to say????[:p]
[signature]
Yes but not on here...I would hate to see fish like some of them on the dinner table..
[signature]
It seems that all pbh likes to do is cause trouble on anything I post, he's always been this way just pay him no mind..[Wink]
[signature]
[quote bassrods]It seems that all pbh likes to do is cause trouble on anything I post, he's always been this way just pay him no mind..[Wink][/quote]

Trouble? I've done nothing but offer sincere advice to a fellow angler. Take it or leave it -- but I meant to cause no trouble. Please accept my apologies if you were offended in any way.
[signature]
Sounds like a good trip but-----what happens when you catch the record and you don't have camera???
[signature]
If you don't have a camera you just keep fishing...What else????
[signature]