Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More cattin' around
[cool][#0000ff]Had a BFT mini floatilla going at the Knolls on Utah Lake today. Parrmark and I rolled up about 7 and Waljustia showed just as we first two were launching. About a half hour after all the tubers were afloat boater RipNLip came cruising up in his fishin' pontoon..with his "first mate" Robin.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Clear and calm at daybreak. Air temp mid 50's and water temp just above 64. Must be global warming. This is October 1 folks. No complaints, mind you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Out of consideration for my fellow anglers I got the first fish jinx out of the way within a few minutes of reaching the targeted 4 foot depth zone. The jinx was that I missed the second bite a couple of minutes later. But after that I put a purty good smackin' on the kitties for the rest of the morning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Used minnows, carp meat and some perch meat from Starvation. Caught fish on all of it but the minnows were the big producer today. Nothing on hardbaits or large plastics but I did get one lonely bluegill on a pink plastic tube jig.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We started out getting pretty regular action in the 4 to 5 foot depth range but that slowed down by late morning. Tried shallower and didn't get bit at all. Finally moved out into my old favorite deep hole...which was only 7.5 feet in the low water. But that is where the fishies were. Pow, zing...stretched my string. Got several over 20 inches, including 24, 25 and 26 inch kitties. Also got a number of nice little "smokitties"...cookie cutters that are just right in size for the smoker rack. Released the bigger ones and a couple of smaller ones. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Kept my targeted half dozen and downloaded my remaining minnows to RipNLip and wife, who had not caught anything. Walt's sonar was out of order so he was fishing blind. Helps to find a zone and stick with it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Parrmark kept a few for the fillet table and Waljustia ended up with a few decent ones for his smoker too. All in all a great weather day and no smell of skunk...at least among the tubers. Tubes rule.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Finished up about noon, packed up our gear and then packed up some of the trash that greeted us when we drove up this morning. A large plastic bag full of beer bottles and cans, food wrappers, empty containers and "unmentionable" items. I guess some people are still new to the concept of "pack it in...pack it out".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Does anybody know if winter has been scheduled this year?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wow great day of kitty smackin. [cool] Nice report!
[signature]
Tell that guy it's a lip gripper not a tit gripper!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]YOU tell him. He is a pretty good sized boy. But I assure you there is nothing kinky goin' on. Just that those lightweight lip grippers are so convenient to clamp on to your "outerwear" for fast access. I keep mine on one edge of my vest.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sure looks like a very nice day on the water. Good weather and nice cats and few friends to fish with.
Life is good sometimes[Wink]
thank you for sharing.

Peter
[signature]
"White" bluegill?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not an albino. The lack of characteristic bluegill coloration is the result of living in murky and alkaline water. Gills color up a lot better in clearer and cleaner water where plenty of sunlight penetrates to stimulate the color pigments in their skin. The water was only about 5 feet deep but was murky from recent winds and there was poor visibility with little light penetration.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Either that or it was travelling in stealth mode.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Maybe he had been hanging with the white bass and wanted to blend in with his buddies.

Here is a "pink" and gray bluegill from Lamont reservoir that has a milky color to its water most of the time. Both the bass and bluegills there are lighter in color than these pictures show.
[inline LJ4.jpg]

Also a light colored bass from the same water.

[inline LJ3.jpg]
[signature]