Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
walleye's in the fall
well my brother bought a boat this year and him and i have gone out fishing a dozen times or so since beginning of august. we really want to have success at trolling simply because we hear stories of monster walleye being caught.

we live in venango county and have quite a few lakes within 30 minutes of us to choose from...pymatuming resv., two mile run lake, shenango resv., lake wilhelm, to name a few.

we have tried worm harnesses of varying colors, hot'n tots, rapalas and a number of other lures and haven't been able to get any walleyes. actually we have only caught 4 fish total by trolling 2 stripers in shenango and 2 largemouths at two mile... any tips or pointers on any of these lakes for trolling for eyes???
Save yourself the trouble and drive a little further to Erie. You wont regret it. Seems to me like your doing everything right. The only thing i would recommend is playing with your speed a little bit. That can be the difference between catching fish or not. Smile
[signature]
I would love to go to Erie walleye fishing. My brothers boat is only 16 ft so i'm a little nervous going on that lake.

we went to lake ontario with a friend of my brothers salmon fishing and the lake got pretty bad but my understanding is that ontario is a lot deeper than erie is.

What is the best way to determine speed when there is no equipment on the boat to measure speed? A guy at the bait shop near shenango said that with the worm harnesses the slower the better. A big problem we had was getting the harnesses down deep. I just purchased "bottom bouncers" because i read that those work pretty good. I really want to catch a walleye this year but time is running out i think.

Thanks!
[signature]
My boat is only 16.5' and i go up there all the time. I fish the bay mostly but in the spring and the summer when the water is nice and there are no storms in the area i go out on the main lake. 90% of the accidents up there are because of poor judgement. Just watch the weather, keep an eye on the radar and dont go out any further that what you feel comfortable with.

Not sure how to tell you how to deturmine speed. I did read sonwhere that you can use a rope and tie knots on it and feed it off the back of the boat but something tell me that it aint worth the effort.

Bottom bouncers are the way to go! Thats what i use to get mine down deep. I dont really troll with them though. I turn my boat sideways with the wind and let the wind push me. If the wind is to strong and movin us to fast we use a drift sock to slow us down. Being that your fishing smaller lakes you may not have any wind at all so i would say your best bet is a electric trolling motor. That will move you at a nice slow pace.
[signature]