Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berry Oct10-2010
Started out at the ladders, on the water at 730. Fished with streamers. Didnt log many fish at all. Went out further from the shore and caught 1 18" cut. Went to Mud creek, got into the water and realized there was too much moss. So i went near Haas point and pulled out 5 more cuts, biggest at 21". Missed alot, seen some other guys in the same area having similar success.

I am typically hunting for bows, I dont think they are into the shallows yet. I have heard mention of the "water turning", any help on exactly what this means????
[signature]
It is when surface waters either are increasing in temperature (in the spring) or decreasing in temperature (in the fall), in both situations becoming more dense, and the heavier water sinks while the less dense water comes to the surface.

I'm not sure what the ideal temperature is that makes this happen at each time, but others might. It has everything to do with the temperature reaching a certain point and sinking, bringing the water below it to the top.
[signature]
And what it ends up meaning from a from a fish-standpoint is to seek what's called a thermocline. You've got changes in temperature that affect the amount of dissolved oxygen available.
Warmer water = less oxygen. But then there's a trade-off of temperature to activity. Gets too cold, fish get less active = lockjaw. So the fish will seek out their optimum balance and preference.

Different points for different fish. Bass like warmer water, while trout prefer cooler temps. Often in the heat of summer, and in response to the power-squadron - you'll often find trout holding in deeper water. But as turnover occurs, and the warmer surface water cools, and then sinks, and the cooler water below moves up - you'll find more trout feeding at the top of the water column.

You end up with seasonal migrations of fish based on these shifts in temperature too. The way bass move into the shallows to spawn in spring, then move to deeper water after spawning. I have a couple books on downriggers, and they spend a fair amount of time discussing thermal affects on fish location. Different fish have ranges of preferred temperatures where they are most likely to be feeding. I'll try to remember to scan one of the charts and post it.

Couple references:
http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/thermocline.html
http://www.bobberstop.com/thermocline.html

structure fishing:
http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/crawfo...e101.shtml
Thank you Gentlemen, much appreciated.
[signature]
Also a side note of the water turning over is that the nutrients and small insects, and other critters that may have been living in the cooler deep water get swept up towards the surface. These small animals do not have the stamina to move against a major water current that is created in the turnover. Therefore the micro organisms get pushed up with the current and the little forage fish etc follow their food up too. That brings the big fish up to eat on the little fish and so you see the cycle.

Certain areas of a lake will have more pronounced cycles, and therefore more fish activity as well. Those hot spot areas, not a reference to temp in this case, will have to be found by yourself. [Wink]
[signature]
First off welcome Bow_Slayer.
I think we saw you as we passed heading to Soldier Creek. We stayed over night.
Saturday was brutal. Cold, windy gloomy and SLOW!!!!
We went back out around 4 that evening. Sun came out, beautiful evening and the bite was on!!!!
My special flies were the ticket again, but....we were using fast sinking lines and 80' of water.
Sunday morning, sun was shining, but the wind started early at 9.
[signature]
If you are looking for Bows you need to be on the Soldier Creek side. The first road there that takes you to the ramp has a few bays along the way. Lots of Bows there, also in the narrows and a renegade. The algae bloom is much more manageable in those areas as well. Berry side is all about Cutts. We have boated around 80 fish in two trips and not one Bow on the Berry side.
[signature]
Must be...we were on the Soldier Creek side the past three weeks and plenty of bows.
[signature]
flygoddess,

Thank you much. I have So you have peaked my interest with "special flies". Typcially i use a red leech bead head, black and green bugger, or solid green bugger. I am reasonably new to fishing strawberry, well I guess fly fishing in general; and really have not tried much else with any success. Not sure what IPS my line is, but i usually end up fishing between 10 and 20 feet. Any advice would be appreicated.

Weekend Warrior or...,

Why do you think the bows congregate on the soldier creek side? Within my little experience, I too have never caught a bow on the berry bay side.
[signature]
I'm am not sure why the rainbows seem to be mostly on that side?? I am thinking its because they are stocked on that side? All I know is that if I want to fish for Rainbows I go to those bays around ice out and in the Fall.

The Cutts are why I fish the Berry though, at least for now. I have personally not caught many Bows in there over about 16" but have caught several Cutts over 25". I bet this will change in coming years as the Bows are eating lots of crawfish and may start giving the Cutts a run for their money??
[signature]
I have personally not caught many Bows in there over about 16" but have caught several Cutts over 25"

I have only caught a couple of 25" ers this year up there, maybe W.W. can help you get into more.
[signature]