Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic Reservoir help
I'm going up to fish the Big Wood and Magic on Wednesday. I've only fished Magic once and don't know the lake well at all. I'll be fishing out of float tubes and will have both a flyrod and spinning rod. Any help or advice would be appreciated either on this post or via a pm. Thanks in advance and I'll let you know how it goes.
[signature]
I can't speak for the river or Magic this time of year. In the spring (this is no secret) sinking line with wooly buggers and fast retrieve....if you think you are retireving to fast, strip faster.

gg
[signature]
Magic,, I just love that Reservoir..You could say that's my home waters 20 minutes from my driveway to boat in the water..
Fishin's been mighty slow there for a few weeks, ain't very often i get skunked there, but it has happened the last 3 times out,, heck i was even trolling with a hundred dollar bill and still no takers ..
Haven't been out since about the 18th of sept. that's when they shut the water off at the dam, so things could be heatin up now..
No doubt on the leaded line and Wooly buggers in the spring, very deadly on the big fish, but i always do my best pullin em as slow as possible 1mph or less..
Right now your best bet will be a Rapala #7 floating or sinking, either one will work just fine,, a shad rap gets it done also for them big ol Browns and bows.
any color will do, but i mainly pull perch color or gold and black,, my buddy wont use nothing but a Rainbow color and he does great with it..
Just a plain ol nightcrawler threaded up your line with about an inch of tail dragging back behind your hook can and is very effective also.
I'm thinking fishing the east side from the dam to about half way to the Eastside resort will be the best fishin right now.. 20ft of water just off shore should treat you just fine..
As far as the Bigwood river,,Well is there any finer trout river in Idaho?? if there is i sure haven't found it..
# 7 Rainbow Rapalas & gold vibrex spinners, you wont need nuthin else,,them is the gitters..
The Bigwood is fishin way hot right now, in fact i have no doubt you will do much better on the river than you will at magic..
There are some restrictions on the river, but they are fairly simple,,everything from the eastfork bridge down anything goes, bait hardware its all good.
From the eastfork bridge up north of Ketchum is single barbless artificial lures, and its catch n release only, some will lead you to believe that it's flyfishing only but it's not..And a barbless treble hook is considered a single hook..
NOW!!! if you want some great action head upstream from eastfork and try them gold vibrex and a Rapala with the front hook cut off,, ain't very often them fish see them tasty little morsels,, less of course I'm on the river.. good luck,, if you want pm me and i will tell you about some sweet little easements that not to many folks know about..
Heres something you might want to take a look at since you're going to be in the neighborhood,,
[url "http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005133554&var_Year=2010&var_Month=10&var_Day=06"]http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005133554&var_Year=2010&var_Month=10&var_Day=06[/url]
[signature]
Wow. Deshka, this is one heck of a debut performance. Thanks for all your help. The Big Wood is my favorite river and I've fished it since the 70's so feel pretty comfortable with it - I also know a few of the easements you are talking about and I've love to swap info with you sometime. I will be up there again over Thanksgiving to hit the midge hatch. Magic is someplace I've always driven by and wondered about it, until last spring when I stopped on a whim and hooked a brown as long as my arm on a Stayner Ducktail - I lost him at the shore - but he was the biggest brown I've ever hooked and that made me hooked. I don't know where I'll end up fishing on the Wood but will take your advice on fishing the east side of Magic by the dam if we make it there (probably late afternoon). If you are there, I'll be bobbing around in a tube. Thanks again for your help and we'll be in touch.
[signature]
Went out to magic this evening,, trolled around at about 20 ft , no hook ups. While i was reeling in to move a Rainbow hit at about 10ft,, so started trolling at about 8 to 15 ft and caught some decent fish.
Perch Rapala and a brown crystal bugger with a gold bead head done equally well..My buddy caught one about 22 inches..
East side, both north and south of the resort produced.
[signature]
Gene & Deshka, thanks for your help. I never made it to Magic. We got on the Big Wood about 9:30 and fished it until dark. It was so good we couldn't leave and we never saw another person all day. There was no surface activity to speak of which was a little surprising but we couldn't keep them off prince nymphs or flashback pheasant tails with midge droppers. The water was clear and low so we used long leaders with 6x tippet. The average fish was about 14" but they were fiesty and acrobatic little buggers. We caught a few in the 17"-18" range. The Wood, as usual, was absolutely gorgeous and it was one of my best flyfishing days of the year. Thanks again for responding to my post and let me know if I can repay the favor.
[signature]
What part of the Wood did you go to? This is a great time of year for all of the streams!
[signature]
PM sent.
[signature]
Looks like a good day on the Wood,, great pictures..
Think i will give it a try tomorrow..
[signature]