Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick High Sierra Report
So I've been doing a lot of hike-in stuff with my Lunker Hunter of late. Just this Sunday a buddy and I hiked up into the Desolation Wilderness in search of gold - golden trout that is!

Lugged my 30 lb pack which included fins, waders, booties, tube, inflator bag, a few reels, too many flyboxes, a rod tube and rod, 3 liters of water, lunch, rainjacket, extra baselayer and socks, and GPS/camera/etc. Not too bad really for 5 miles of uphill hoofin'. I'd like to take it overnighting but I'm afraid the extra 15 pounds of gear may force me to trim weight somewhere...

Some photos:

Cool looking tree and cairn:

[Image: 5071372427_152f1351d6_b_d.jpg]

Set up and ready to rock!

[Image: 5071975076_78f90a780d_b_d.jpg]

Afloat!

[Image: 5071363977_93f1651129_b_d.jpg]

Success!!

[Image: 5071966052_e4d6766e89_b_d.jpg]

Unfortunately, that was the only fish between the two of us for the day. Fortunately, it was I who caught it! Smile

I'm loving this UL tubing thing... Trinity tubes can kiss my 2 lb a$$! Smile

_SHig
[signature]
I wish I can do that! I like those fins, tell me about those.
[signature]
My luck, I would break my rod...I always pack two, but that is where an extreme multi piece comes in handy.

Ever looked at these fins?

http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/boat...444-000155

I have a pair and they do work. Nice and flat too.
[signature]
[quote Bluegillman]I wish I can do that! I like those fins, tell me about those.[/quote]

The fins have a cool story behind them actually...

I loaned them (Caddis float tuber fins) to a friend 20+ years ago. We went our separate ways after high school and only hooked back up recently through Facebook. Funny thing was he still had the fins. Well in the meantime I'd bought a new set of the same fins, but in black - one of which I lost on my last hiking trip.

Well I repo'd the green fins and replaced the laces and put fresh bungees on the heelstraps and I'm back in business! Not QUITE as good as Force fins, but WAY lighter and easier to pack. Also, I now rock the retro green which I'll bet you can't get anymore.

There's a set of black ones on eBay right now, but no green...

_SHig
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]My luck, I would break my rod...I always pack two, but that is where an extreme multi piece comes in handy.

Ever looked at these fins?

[url "http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/boats_float_tubes-outcast-backpack_fins_444-000155"]http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/...pack_fins_444-000155[/url]

I have a pair and they do work. Nice and flat too.[/quote]

My friend has a pair of those. Pretty light, but not too easy to strap up while wearing a donut. The way I have the Caddis' rigged I can point my foot out of the water, slip the fin on, then grab the bungee and slip it over my heel. Easy peasy and no embarrassing pratfalls into chilly water. Wink

_SHig
[signature]
Absolutely. They are a put on then step in the donut fin, but two clips is nice.
My Omega's are like yours. Stick foot in pull rubber heel strap.
Still waiting to see if any wear on my hip wader boots.

Beautiful water there! I would be going nuts!
[signature]
Love those pictures [Wink]

Peter
[signature]