Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 10-12-10
Been hearing so many good reports form people have gone up to Strawberry. I figured it was our turn to give it a shot. Launched from the Marina at 8:45am, headed to Renegade area, picked up 5 fish (small rainbows, and one 21" cutt [:/] which was released to grow the 1 or so inches.) that was the first hour and a half. Water pea green with algae and the further south we went the green it was, boat wake looked like again green pea soup. Water temp was 54, air temp and day was beautiful, trolled back up over Haws, picked up a nice 3.8 lb rainbow around there. We concentrated on trolling, brought bait but didn't bait fish[unimpressed] proably should have as we marked a lot of smaller guys in the 10 to 15' range hanging in the tall water weeds. Fished up to Mud creek then called it a day at around 2pm. Total fish caught 17 all trolling teasers and needle fish, just kept the 3.8 bow, fun day, but didn't get into the bigun. [pirate] Sorry no pictures forgot the camera
[signature]
What depth were you trolling at? Surface or on a downrigger?
[signature]
We use 12lb leaded line and were out 3 1/2 to 4 colors, I've got down riggers but didn't mark any fish deeper than 20 feet so didn't use them. that help?
[signature]
Well, at least you caught some! That sounds like a really nice bow, how long was he? Some fish are always better than no fish...One fish, Two fish, Red fish, Blue fish. [:p]
[signature]
Good job on the fatty bow!

I was up there that same day fishing from the shore in my waiters around the Haws point area. I fished from 1-5 and I had a really good day fishing with jigs. I caught somewhere around 17-19 fish. All were cutts in the slot except one 22 in and a rainbow.

I've fished Strawberry a lot the past two years and have had good - excellent success. I had an angler give me some advice about jigging that really improved my hookup/bite ratio. Had a lot to do with keeping proper tension on the line while setting the hook and while reeling in. Also, Pole action (medium-heavy set), line type (braided) played significant role in how many fish I caught. I am really excited for November @ the berry! Good luck guys!
[signature]
Took me a second to figure out waiters...I assume you meant waders[Wink]
Anyway, I am so impressed with how well you all do from shore. That is way cool.
I don't spin fish but I thought jigging was like deep nymphing...you drop it straight down. How do you do this from shore? Or am I way off on this?
[signature]
I have been asking at fishtec lately about this jigging technique. They said jgging isn't necessarily the drop straight down tug up and down motion you would do for lakers, but for strawberry it is using a tube jig. They do a slow retrieve or drifting motion with the jib and a slight twitch but he said not a big tug like they do if they are dropping straight down. It isn't even necessarily on the bottom. just drifting where the fish are at. To me this sounds similar to a slow retrieve with a woolly bugger. The tube jigs look similar to a wooly bugger and the best color is reported to be the pearl white. I am considering throwing this jig on my fly rod this friday also will try a white bugger to see if the interest is similar. Let you know how it turns out.
[signature]
I tried White and had a couple of fish. Tried Tan and had a couple of fish, then tried Burnt Orange and had a bunch of fish...go figure.
But, I heard white as well, and I have done good with white in the past, but this year, everything is different.
[signature]
My guess is that the "burnt orange" might be imatating the chub ... just a guess.
[signature]
I was thinking more Crawfish as I am fishing it off the bottom in most cases, but the movement could be bait fish.
[signature]
It's like the "whoppers" at Willard.

Nice report. Sorry no pics, but hey - if you consider almost 4lber a small one, I've got some big-fishn' ta do! The 'Berry - yet another water I need to touch. I've heard great things about crawdadin down there.

I should look it up, but what is the "slot" on Cutts?

I was surprised by how hot an orange - bouyant spotted spoon was for rainbows at Hyrum couple weeks back. Of our offerings it was the "hit after hit" ticket. TD shared a number of orange/pink fly-lure patterns that seem to turn on in the fall. Didn't get what they would "imitate" - hadn't thought of crawdads. Once the die or get cooked they go pretty red. Maybe I should start putting butter and lemon garlic on my lures!

I've done jigging from shore or boat where ya pitch, drop. Then kinda run a up up up - droooooop pattern. 9 times out of 10 the drop will take the hit. If I can let it hit bottom without snagging - that can do it even more, or that first movement off a rest -/ bang / they hit it.
Sounds like you got some good lessons on the retrieve. I'd love to learn more of that. Had far too many ballerina rainbow fly through the air with the greatest of east, and just enough head-shake to fling that hook aside, and off they go..... reminds me - it's about time to hit Mantua again. Hope the weeds have started to wilt.
[signature]
"TD shared a number of orange/pink fly-lure patterns that seem to turn on in the fall. Didn't get what they would "imitate" - hadn't thought of crawdads. Once the die or get cooked they go pretty red. Maybe I should start putting butter and lemon garlic on my lures!"

[cool][#0000ff]Color preferences and changes throughout the year could be the subject of a separate long thread...or a book...or a movie. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I think people tend to give fish too much credit for human-like reasoning and reaction. They do not have large brains, capable of reasoning, and trout don't live long enough (most less than 5 years) to learn and remember very much. Most of what they do is a combination of genetic programming, instinctive reactions and some learned behavior. They do not look at a fly or lure and think "Hey, that looks a lot like (food source). I think I will eat it." But they do respond more quickly if what you are serving is about the same size, shape and color as what they are patterning on...and if it moves right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Why do they hit orange so well in the fall? I dunno. But having fished for most of the troutlike species around the country...and to the north...I have my own theories. #1 probability is that fall is a time of spawning for some trouts and chars...and there are sometimes eggs available in the water...either from active spawning or accidental "dribbles" by ripe females waiting to spawn. And, virtually all troutkind eagerly slurp up eggs...either as a food source or as an instinctive action to reduce the population of other young fry which could be in competition with their own for available food sources. What color are trout eggs? Most of them are orange.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of my best fall patterns...flies and spinners...have patches or spots of orange. And, on many fall days the orange-decorated models seem to outproduce the stuff that was doing better a few weeks earlier.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A big part of the equation is visibility. Trout also tend to hit other hot colors more readily in the cooler months. Hot pink, red, chartreuse and yellow also produce more "reaction" bites in cooler water or in waters murkied by algae bloom, storm runoff or seasonal turnovers. If they can see it better, they will hit it better.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Both white and black can be good colors...either by themselves or in combination. Good contrasting combos are also more highly visible.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think that most salmonids and chars are genetically programmed to smack bright colors. A lot of them have bright coloration themselves and another colorful intruder in the area can incite a territorial or curiosity munch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Who knows? I don't. But I make sure I gots lots of purty colors in my fall lure and fly boxes. [/#0000ff]
[signature]